Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akatsilometes

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am on my first batch and had a question. I was going to bottle last weekend, but the batch still needed to settle a little more. In the process I mixed the sugar and water together for the bottling. Since I didn't bottle last week, I saved the mix in a kerr jar. My question is can I reboil the mixture and add it tomorrow to bottle my beer and get the same carbonation? It has been sitting in the Kerr for a week now. Thanks!

Kats

Hello everyone. I am on my first batch and had a question. I was going to bottle last weekend, but the batch still needed to settle a little more. In the process I mixed the sugar and water together for the bottling. Since I didn't bottle last week, I saved the mix in a kerr jar. My question is can I reboil the mixture and add it tomorrow to bottle my beer and get the same carbonation? It has been sitting in the Kerr for a week now. Thanks!

Kats

I suppose you COULD do that. Doing a quick boil of the solution will ensure it is sterile enough.

Personally, I'd probably just boil some more water, measure out the required amount of sugar, using plain old cane sugar, mix, cool and prime the batch.

Kats

I think you're good to go... reboil that solution for sure. Question for you... whats a kerr jar?

As long as it was sealed up,I think it's ok to heat it up again. But don't boil it for a long time or anything. Pasteurization happens about 162F,so just a minute or so is fine. It actually takes only a few seconds they claim. But a minute or two will do it.

Hey Guys....

Just a quick update. The beer did carbonate well and was mighty tasty for my first time doing it! Thanks again for the help. I'm going on my 4th batch now. Damn this stuff is fun!

Kats

Back