Purging with C02 to prevent oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lboe12

Reaction score
Hi all,

Here is a quick breakdown of my process. All Grain brewer. Primary fermentation of about 3-4 weeks then transfer to a secondary and cold crash for about a week. This allows for super clear beer going into my keg.

I would like to purge my secondary with C02 to help prevent oxygen from sitting on my beer for a week. I already have a C02 tank but am confused as to specifically what parts i need to get my C02 into a better bottle. Some sort of gun nozzle that will allow me to shoot C02 into the carboy??? I really dont know. Maybe someone can give me some direction. Also, is anyone purging their bottles when bottling?

I use a blow gun from the air tool section of your hardware store or amazon with the largest diameter tube about 3mm. The larger the tube the more gentle the force of the co2 which helps displace the air in your carboy rather than just mixing with it. I've seen a larger diameter tube for blow guns at a local hose supply store but find the 3mm one to be sufficient. I got mine from amazon for ~$5US

I have a utility line on my co2 tank that has an air quick disconnect for quick swapping of tools. I then added a quick disconnect male fitting to the blow gun.

This page is what gave me the idea (and visual):
http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/co2utility.html

Primary fermentation of about 3-4 weeks then transfer to a secondary and cold crash for about a week. This allows for super clear beer going into my keg.

I do the same thing except I skip the secondary. I cold crash the primary for a week before kegging, then let the keg sit for week while it's carbonating (no force carb). I get super clear beer every time.

I would like to purge my secondary with C02 to help prevent oxygen from sitting on my beer for a week. I already have a C02 tank but am confused as to specifically what parts i need to get my C02 into a better bottle. Some sort of gun nozzle that will allow me to shoot C02 into the carboy??? I really dont know. Maybe someone can give me some direction. Also, is anyone purging their bottles when bottling?

lboe12 - not sure why you would need some specific parts. Just attach a co2 tube to your tank and feed the other end down to the bottom of your carboy, then open the gas. Just a moment or two should be sufficient.

Both of my CO2 systems (keezer and carb fridge) have external tanks & primaries, and I have an extra drop on the keezer system with a QD.

I unscrew the QD, stick the hose into the mouth of the carboy by an inch or so and pointing straight down into the center, open the manifold valve and blast away for a few seconds, slap the airlock on and stick it in the fermenting fridge, and go have a beer.

Like so many things, I don't know that flushing the head space on a secondary fermenter is necessary, but I do it anyway, especially because all of my carboys are 6.5 gallon glass and I keg in cornies. I've never, ever had an obvious infection in years of brewing.

A good case of OC can be handy for the home brewer, imo...

Cheers! ;)

Pour in 2 liters of seltzer and cover with foil. Shake it up a couple of times and let it sit for a few minutes. Shake it again and quickly dump out the flat water. There is now about a gallon of CO2 in your carboy. Rack into it and if you get near the top of your carboy (which you should if doing a secondary) you are good to go. No equipment needed only a bottle of seltzer 2 liters/1 buck.

OMO

bosco

Pour in 2 liters of seltzer and cover with foil. Shake it up a couple of times and let it sit for a few minutes. Shake it again and quickly dump out the flat water. There is now about a gallon of CO2 in your carboy. Rack into it and if you get near the top of your carboy (which you should if doing a secondary) you are good to go. No equipment needed only a bottle of seltzer 2 liters/1 buck.

OMO

bosco

won't the co2 pour out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the OP states he wants to do a secondary in a better bottle or carboy. Hold the foil on the neck, invert the bottle, let the water flow out around the foil and when the water is out stand the bottle back up with the foil in place.

bosco

yes, but as you can see in the video co2 is heavier than air and pours out when you pour out the water.

It might work somewhat, air is going to be sucked in when the water flows out, but purging with co2 from a hose would be better.
I just run a hose into my vessel and turn the gas on, I like the idea of attaching an air gun to the co2 tank. I will do that.

As I stated before.

Once the seltzer has degassed hold your hand over the foil. Invert the carboy (wihich has a narrow neck) allow the liter or two of water to flow out, then stand the bottle back up and keep covered until you rack into it. The OP is using a BETTER BOTTLE which has a narrow neck.

bosco

yes, but as you can see in the video co2 is heavier than air and pours out when you pour out the water.

It might work somewhat, air is going to be sucked in when the water flows out, but purging with co2 from a hose would be better.
I just run a hose into my vessel and turn the gas on, I like the idea of attaching an air gun to the co2 tank. I will do that.

That's fine and will work.:mug:

I should have prefaced my resonse by stating:

"If you feel the need to introduce some CO2 into a carboy or like vessel and you do not have a source of CO2 there is another way. An old seltzer maker would work as well, just charge the empty cylinder and shoot the gas into your carboy."

bosco

Turn the valve off, unscrew the QD and then stick the hose in the carboy and turn it back on. Alternatively, you could stop using secondary carboys and use another corny keg to secondary.

Dear Iboe12:
The following advice should NOT be used until the user educates him/herself on the proper and safe use of compressed gasses. I shall not be personally responsible. OK?
I would never have air in headspace: I'm an amateur, don't leave anything to chance, won't risk a batch=time, money, work. I use nitrogen, left over from chemistry, shall switch to CO2 ASAP. Approached fellow at AirGas, got encouraging answers. You should talk to local gas dealers. AirGas is even getting into "beer gas" for us HBers. Can also use gas pressure to push fluid out of a vessel.
CO2 is cheap, and going in with others is cheaper still.
I always wanted to try: Dry Ice(careful....-80 degrees=frostbite. you are warned!!!) will slowly warm, giving off CO2. And, CO2 is heavier than air, and COLD CO2 is heavier still. Use this fact. Careful: CO2 at 10% concentration will render you unconscious, and, you will die. Buuuuutttttt......CO2 as Dry Ice has compressor oil on it, but a clever fellow should be able to construct a filter to remove this oil. Why? 'cause DI is dirt cheap. Hmmmm. Also, CO2 has formula weight of 44, and this expressed as grams is 44g., the weight of what chemists call one mole of CO2, and with 454 grams per pound, that is ten moles of CO2 per pound. Soooooooooooooo wot? Well, one mole of a gas at room temp. occupies 22.4 liters. Now, you can compute how much gas is needed to flush how much space. Test it by holding a lit match by opening. Go online to find conversion factors for, well, stuff. Good luck!

I would bet that the secondary will continue to format--not significantly, mind you, but just enough to purge any oxygen sitting on your beer. I'd bet you'd be okay not messing with it.

Latest posts

Back