08-08-08

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08-08-08 What to do?

• Brew on 08-08-08

• Drink on 08-08-08

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dycokac said:
I want to jump on this one too.

I'm only capable of a partial boil, but steeping grains is no problems just like shunoshi.

Suggested extract/partial mash recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=438554&postcount=111

I have a mini MLT (2 gallon) which fits 5 lbs. of grain perfectly. Looks that recipe has just over 4 lbs. That leaves extra room to sub some of the extract for a suitable base malt; in this case looks like that would be some UK 2-Row.

I, like Brewing Clamper, am concerned with having enough enzymes for sugar conversion. I figure it can't hurt to throw some 2-Row in.

Steep the specialties. Don't worry about convertion, the grains are roasted, burnt and/or carmalized already, there isn't anything to convert anyway! If you have to do a partial boil, why not split the extract into two batches, add 1/2 the hop schedule each and combine them in the end? You would get close to a full boil that way. But I don't know, I haven't extracted in 25 years!

Man, I am looking forward to this. I will be doing a 20 gallon batch I think!

Holy Crap! I just stumbled on this thread and I am glad I did. I'm in for brewing on the first day of the year! I will step up to my first ten gallon batch with this too.
BP Rocks!:rockin:

I will be brewing this recipe sometime this winter (can't guarantee 1-1-08 at this time). Looks like a real winner and RIS is one of my favorite styles. I'd like to participate in the beer swap but I'm a newbie brewer and I will using a considerable amount of extract to account for my 12# grain mash limit, so I would hate to send some brewers my so-so RIS in exchange for their awesome brews.

Craig Baker

Sounds....tasty! I may just have to give this a brew, but goodness knows it's gonna be a hard time keeping myself outta this for the better part of a year...

Brewing Clamper said:
The best way to achieve this is to brew enough to keep your mind off it! :D

That's the only way my recent Winter Ale survived 4 months without drinking. Gotta keep the beer supply up! :D

I'm going to close this thread temporarily.
1) I want to break off the exchange from the recipe thread and include links to it.
2) As this is a group exchange, I need to get the policy reviewed. This may be a case where we do a Supporting Members exchange and allow other members to do one as well on a one-on-one basis.

Reopened: Lets keep this thread for the recipe and recipe questions.
The official exchange thread is here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44981

Policy on group exchanges:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44987

I've come across one small issue with this recipe now...hops. I can't seem to find any Horizon hops in stock anywhere. Has anyone else had any success finding some?

shunoshi said:
I've come across one small issue with this recipe now...hops. I can't seem to find any Horizon hops in stock anywhere. Has anyone else had any success finding some?

OH NOES. That is bad news! I haven't seen any either, I know our local brewery is out of them too.

Magnum is the easiest sub for Horizon, but I think some of the Magnum crops went with the Yakima warehouse fire...... German Magnums maybe??

Brewpastor, HELP! :D

Also, sort-of related, I emailed Forrest yesterday to see if we can have an 8-8-8 RIS kit from Austin Homebrew (AustinHomebrew.com for the Google Rankings :)), so maybe he can find some for inclusion?

shunoshi said:
Any suggestions? My knowledge of hops is still severely noobish. :eek:

Hop sub's are *not* my expertise, but I'd be tempted to use Galena? It has a fairly "clean" palate, that is to say that it's not obvious which hop you used, but still provides lots of IBUs like Horizon does.

Don't take my word for it though - other opinions?

From what I've looked into, good subs sound like Magnums or Nuggets. Magnums look to be a nice clean bittering hop, I may go with them.

Rhoobarb said:
Here's a good chart for subbing hops.
I've always wished they would provide more detail in that chart, though. Descriptions are kinda vague. Oh well. :)

yeah, I'm going with the Magnums. I just put in an order at AHS for a couple ounces along with some other hop varieties that Midwest is out of. Hey chriso, keep us updated on the AHS/Forrest 8-8-8 kit thingy. I'll find another use for the Magnums should he come through with a full kit for us. :D

shunoshi said:
Hey chriso, keep us updated on the AHS/Forrest 8-8-8 kit thingy. :D

Will do - I'm in contact with both them (Austin Homebrew) and the great Brewpastor and we're working on the bugs - we have a minor problem with ingredients -- the hops and the Pale Choc Malt (as we've already been discussing)

Here's a teaser from Nick at Austin Homebrew:
"This sounds like a great idea. We can certainly put a recipe on the website. [.....] We can do an extract version of the recipe. To keep with our recipe format we can offer the extract, minimash, milled and unmilled all grain versions of the recipe."

Will post here as soon as the kit is final! :)

I called them today, but having a bit of trouble connecting with the guy I need to talk with. I think it will be a go and happen soon.

Section1 said:
Any update on the kit thingy yet? I would like to order before the big Christmas rush starts to take hold.

Good call, it would be nice to get these on order by the end of the month or early next month to try and dodge nasty holiday shipping slowdowns. I think this is a good opportunity for AHS to acquire some new customers. I also think it will be interesting to see how everyones' beers differ when the same ingredients are used. It'll really show the impact of using different techniques (and water ;) ).

Can't wait! :D

Kit should be ready soon, spoke with Nick today and Austin Homebrew is ready to post as soon as we send over the final final recipe.
Due to availability, the Bittering hops might be Galena or Warrior, aroma looks like it should be Fuggle or maybe Willamette. Still waiting on final word.

I really don't think a partial will be needed. A simple steep should do with the extract. There are no grains to convert in the non-all- grain recipe (as far as I can remember, which isn't very far!)

BP and I have finished the recipe - we're still deciding the final hop choice, as I said earlier, Galena or Warrior for bitter, Willamette or Fuggle for aroma. Meanwhile, here's the BeerXML file for the recipe.

Please note: Look what I did...
080808ris.jpg

...because if the computer confirms it, I can feel twice as useful! :D

Anyways. Kit should be here in the next couple of days. I'll post as soon as I find out.

Note: You may have to Save As... to your computer, and then manually import it into your BeerSmith/ProMash/Beertools/etc.

View attachment 080808RIS.xml

Brewpastor said:
I really don't think a partial will be needed. A simple steep should do with the extract. There are no grains to convert in the non-all- grain recipe (as far as I can remember, which isn't very far!)

Great! That'll make the day even easier.

Mmmmm, can't wait to drink/make some homebrew in the new year.:drunk:

:mug:

chriso said:
BP and I have finished the recipe - we're still deciding the final hop choice, as I said earlier, Galena or Warrior for bitter, Willamette or Fuggle for aroma. Meanwhile, here's the BeerXML file for the recipe.

Please note: Look what I did...
080808ris.jpg

...because if the computer confirms it, I can feel twice as useful! :D

Anyways. Kit should be here in the next couple of days. I'll post as soon as I find out.

Note: You may have to Save As... to your computer, and then manually import it into your BeerSmith/ProMash/Beertools/etc.

Do you have a file for the extract recipe? Thanks.

Poppy360 said:
Do you have a file for the extract recipe? Thanks.

It's the same file, you just need to remove the 14.0 lbs pale 2-row malt and add:
10.00 lbs. Generic LME - Light Generic Malt Extract

I'll leave it to y'all to discuss what brand. I've never bought extract before.

Poppy360 said:
That's what I use.

Same here.

Since I don't have the capability for AG yet, I guess I'll throw down an extract brew. Being able to just buy a kit for this from AHS is going to be nice. :ban:

chriso said:
Here it is! Have fun, guys!!!

:tank: :drunk: :drunk: :tank:

Out of curiosity, are they sub'n grains or brining in what's spec'd in the recipe? IIRC when I was looking on their site to assemble the recipe, they didn't stock Crystal 75 or multiple chocolate malts.

Which yeast is recomended? and or what yeast is everyone going to order?

I see the kit options are California, American ale or Safale.

I'm not farmiliar at all with Safale and judging by it's price that's a dry yeast?

This is exactly what I sent them:

Code:
Recipe: 08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout
Brewer: Brewpastor
Asst Brewer: HomeBrewTalk.com
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.96 gal
Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 47.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 88.8 IBU
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
14 lbs        Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1 lbs 4.0 oz  Roasted Barley
1 lbs         Special B Malt
6.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
6.0 oz        Caramunich Malt
6.0 oz        Chocolate Malt
5.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L

1.50 oz       Warrior [14.80 %]  (60 min)  (2 oz ships w/ pkg)
2.00 oz       Fuggles [4.60 %]  (10 min)
2.00 oz       Fuggles [4.60 %]  (Flame-Out)

1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)          Yeast-Ale

Brewpastor's "official" yeast choice is the Wyeast 1056. As has been discussed in other threads, Austin Homebrew prefers to sell White Labs when possible, because they have a closer relationship with the company (WL tends to be better about replacing "bad" yeast, and are easy to work with, I think?), and because they are more durable to ship than Wyeast smack-packs are.

I'm currently trying my luck with White Labs, because I can get them a little cheaper than Wyeast, and I like the tubes (and the tube rebate program). I haven't decided if I'm going with Wyeast or WL for this brew though.

Any of the three yeasts will give you good beer. Both of the brand names will give you really good beer. It's up to you, nobody is going to yell at you for substituting something. That being said, Wyeast 1056 is still the "official" yeast.

I've used Safale once before, and have a few more packs to use in the future. Seems just fine. Made by Fermentis, a company in France.

Edit: If anyone is not buying a kit, and instead is piecing together ingredients, and you are having a trouble with hop varieties, you can substitute Galena or Magnum for the Warrior and/or substitute U.S. Golding / Willamette / EKG / others for Fuggle.

Back