Just transfered my Imperial stout to barrel, do i seal i with a bung?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you taste the beer every few days to make sure it doesn't get over oaked. I have been obcessed with barrel aged beers, especially RIS. I think I have 4 versions so far.

I was going to do my first sample after 2 weeks then every week after that. Do you think I should sample sooner? This beer is big and I added no flavors like coffee, vanilla, etc. so I desire to pick up a decent amount of flavors from the barrel.

How new is the barrel? How many batches of beer have gone through it? If it is new, and 5 gallons, it will impart a lot if oak flavor. It won't need more than 2-3 weeks and that might be too much. A 5 gallon has more surface area than a full size barrel. Every time you use it you will get less oak flavor. They are usually good for 4 or 5 batches. After that you will have to add oak chips, cubes, or spirals.

It was used to make bourbon from a distillery in Texas. They did 2 batches with it starting the first batch about 8 months ago dumping then doing 2nd batch about 2 months ago. It was sealed after they dumped their 2nd batch. I did not sanitize the inside because I didn't want to loose any of that bourbon flavor. How do you recommend storing the barrel in between batches? It will probably be another 4 weeks after dumping this first beer before I do another in it.

My Second barrel was a Whiskey barrel. I left it empty until the night before I used it. I pumped 180+ degree water into it, let it soak for about an hour and dumped it. I wanted to make sure it was sanitized. The first batch if Smoked RIS I put through it is one of the best beers I have ever made or tasted. There was a ton of Whiskey taste. I just put my 3rd batch of beer through it and it still gives good flavor. It just takes a little more time. When it starts to lose it's flavor, put a 1/2 gallon of whiskey in it and turn the barrel a little everyday. On new oak, I put a 1/2 gallon of Whiskey in and fill the rest with hot water.

I bought a small stopper and an airlock when I used my barrel, but I was paranoid about a tiny bit of fermentation going on and popping the stopper while I was away and carbonated imperial stout flying everywhere.

To store it, I filled it halfway with cold water, added some citric acid and potassium metabisulfite powder, then topped it off and sealed it with a sanitized bung. Stays that way for a few months, then has to be dumped and re-filled. Gotta love that evaporation/angel's share thing a barrel does...

Back