Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
Hey I am wonderibg if there is more to barley than i am aware of... so far i have brewed partial mash with internet purchased grains... marris otter, canada 2 row....

I have a contact in the area now who farms and will sell me a 5 gallon pail of barley for $20. Is this a good idea? Is there a big difference between that (probably feed barley) and stuff i have used before?

Cheers,

Well, is it malted? Unless you feel like malting your own barley, don't buy it. You can do it if you want to, though, it's not that hard. Also I'd be wary about anything not meant for human consumption, but ask if it's fine.

Not a great price for feed barley either. 5 gal of barley is around 25lbs. A 50# sack of malt is around 40$ at my LHBS and it comes already malted!

Not a great price for feed barley either. 5 gal of barley is around 25lbs. A 50# sack of malt is around 40$ at my LHBS and it comes already malted!

Yeah, I was going to say that...it's not even that good a deal.

Food for thought. I told him no.

Only prob is there is no LHBS around here and shipping is killer on that weight.....

Ahah! I found a great source!
Here is the trick... I searched for a malt manufacturer and found a huge one nearby.... they put me onto a place in my city that buys from them.
They primarily sell different grains, oil seeds, and malts to bakeries... they are the same malts we would use to brew, and they have a large selection.
55lb sack pale 2row for $25, and no shipping. I am so happy right now!

So that is a good tip for anyone in a smallish city that has no good LHBS, look for a supplier of grains for bakeries... Heck, you could probably go to a bakery if you had to and work out a deal with them.

Are you talking about paddock or have you got a new malt source out there?Yeah I am sure your buddy would be happy to sell his barley at 20 bucks/5gal pail straight out of the combine!He probably gets about 2 bucks from the elevator, for the same amount in truck loads!

lylo said:
Are you talking about paddock or have you got a new malt source out there?Yeah I am sure your buddy would be happy to sell his barley at 20 bucks/5gal pail straight out of the combine!He probably gets about 2 bucks from the elevator, for the same amount in truck loads!

No, Paddock wood doesn`t sell supplies anymore.... at least not officially...

It is called infraready.

No, Paddock wood doesn`t sell supplies anymore.... at least not officially...

It is called infraready.

I just went to Paddock Wood last weekend and bought some crystal malt and DME. They do indeed still sell at least some supplies (no equipment though).

What is this infraready you speak of? Excited to find another sunshine city resident on here.

I just went to Paddock Wood last weekend and bought some crystal malt and DME. They do indeed still sell at least some supplies (no equipment though).

What is this infraready you speak of? Excited to find another sunshine city resident on here.

See here: http://westernmalt.webs.com/

And their current price list: http://westernmalt.webs.com/brochure.htm

I personally haven't purchased from them, but I have been in contact with their sales rep, Shalynn, she is pretty nice and gets back to you very promptly.

Back