Conditioning Lager (after using Ale Yeast at room temp)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffettPack

Reaction score
I'm new to the boards and to homebrewing in general. Just purchased the Deluxe kit from Northern Brewer and should receive it next week. Have a 20 quart stainless steel kettle coming from Amazon, so I should be ready to start next week.

A coworker brewed this German Alt extract kit which is what turned me on to homebrewing. It was the best beer I've ever tasted.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/german-alt-extract-kit-2.html

Unfortunately, he's out the next week or so, so I can't ask him questions directly about it. I do know that he ferments his beer at room temp (probably 75 degrees) in a bucket fementer (no secondary fermentation).

I have no ability at this point to do the primary fermentation at the recommended temperature (55-66 degrees F). I'll have to ferment at closer to 72-73 degrees room temperature (I realize the fermenter runs hotter than this).

I do have the ability to move to a secondary fermenter (plastic carboy) and to put it in the fridge until time for bottling. I can then keep the bottles in the fridge as well to cold condition.

My question is, since I'm not going to primary ferment at the recommended lower temperature, will it help to secondary ferment in a fridge? Going a step further, once I bottle, should I condition the beers in the fridge?

The yeast I'm using is SafeAle US05-Ale Yeast (opt temp 59-75 degrees F). I chatted with a rep from Northern Homebrew and they indicated I should still have good beer even if I don't primary ferment in the 55-66 degree range. I just neglected to ask the other questions I have here.

Back