Reusing mini kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
I saw some people reuse those coors lite tap a draft systems but the thing is I hate coors lite. could i do the same thing with a mini keg of craft beer or something?

yeah... totally possible. You carefully pop out the plastic bung, clean the whole thing out and then fill and prime with the appropriate amount of sugar (go low, my suggestion!).

Works pretty well. One of the homebrew stores carries the parts for them as well.

I will look in my links.

meh... cant find it. I think I deleted that section after I started kegging. I think it is homebrewer_99 who was telling me about it. Search for mini keg threads.

There was a good thread .... I think on here about re-using the Heineken mini kegs for home brew. A search should bring it up.

so anyone have any experience with reusing those homedraft things? they are only $20 a a piece and I could bring one to thanksgiving and have my family drink the miller lite and try it with my homebrew. but if i carbed naturally then added a co2 cartridge wouldn't it get some sediment in the first glass?

Sports, there are several threads on the home draft. Do a quick search and I'm sure most if not all of your question will be answered. I have one that I'm planning on taking to my parents for thanksgiving. It was given to me empty. I'm taking my Grand Cru to share with the family.

yeah those threads are what gave me the idea i think i will pick one up worst case scenario is i'm out $20 and 1.5 gallons of beer. maybe ill do a 1.5 gallon extract batch just to test it out. the only bad thing is i will have to drink coors lite

A friend used the mini kegs before and even manged to rig up a CO2 charge system to one, but it couldn't handle much pressure. Only enough to serve with. Too much and the rubber bung would pop out.

The problem with the mini kegs is that once you tap them, you introduce air inside and the beer must be drank right away. The Homedraft system fills the airspace with CO2 and keeps the beer fresher longer, and also keeps it carbed.

$ for $ I think the homedraft system is the way to go if you can figure out which CO2 carts to use with it. The only downside is having to drink that American Light Lager first!

Come on Homer, it is called cask ale, and it is HIP!

Ask all the CAMRA folks... that funky taste is releasing the true nature of the beer!

We never had a problem killing one of those little kegs.

Latest posts

Back