Corny keg plastic gas dip tube leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr00bie

Reaction score
I am complete newbie to kegging, but I got a couple used, non-refurbed Corny kegs and I am having an issue with getting one of the kegs to seal properly. The issue is on the IN side of the tank, and from what I can tell the leak is caused by the standard o-ring not fitting well on the plastic gas dip tube.

I have tried replacing the plastic gas dip tube with a stainless one from another keg, but they do not fit. When I compared the plastic and the stainless, the plastic one was WAY smaller. Should I be using a different o-ring? Would a round o-ring (profile view, instead of a squarish o-ring) work better? Any ideas?

The o-ring has been wiped down with keg lube and I have tightened the post as much as I can get it.

Thanks,
Drew

I'm goign to guess based on my experience that your oring is shot. If you have squarish orings they should be replaced. When they were new they were round. Years of compression have changed their form to be squared off. Here are some part numbers I dug up from another thread.

Dip Tube O-Rings
5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100/$1.89 (yes, these are the same ones the shops sell for fifty cents EACH.)

Post O-Rings
7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100/$2.15

Lid O-Rings
3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10/$12.50

O-rings are the same. Since the opening in the keg for the plastic gas dip tube is smaller (hence the larger diameter, metal gas tube won't fit) You can either get a replacement plastic dip tube (http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3_79&products_id=1070). Or drill out the opening in the keg so the metal tube will fit.

Also, if you end up buying the o-rings in bulk, i'd spend a couple extra bucks and get the double seal rings:

90025K368 - Double Seal Buna-N O-Ring As568A Dash #109

All those part numbers can be directly search from at http://www.mcmaster.com

After doing a little research, I think I may drill out the post and get a SS gas dip tube to use. It sounds as if the plastic dip tubes are not very reliable.

I have ordered some o-rings from McMaster-Carr... we'll see if they fix the issue when they come in.

Thanks for the help!
Drew

I'm goign to guess based on my experience that your oring is shot. If you have squarish orings they should be replaced. When they were new they were round. Years of compression have changed their form to be squared off. Here are some part numbers I dug up from another thread.

Not necessarily true - Most of my kegs came with what are called "Quad O-rings" - which are square in profile.

I replace them with round ones when they need it, but square doesn't mean they are bad.

Look for cracks or strange deformation. If they are still pliable and smooth, there's nothing wrong with them. (Assuming they are the right size in the first place, and don't smell like root beer!)

The dip tube o-rings I get from my LHBS (not very local, 2 hours away!) have a square profile with little dips on the top, bottom and side. I know this link is to an oil seal site but the one on the right is the type that I get from my LHBS to replace the dip tube o-rings.

http://www.tckmim.com/pcat-gifs/products-small/o-ring.jpg

I ordered some double-seal o-rings, so we'll see if those fix my problem. Right now it isn't much of a concern, I just used that keg to test out the carbonation with some grape kool-aid... my wife thinks it is neat that we can make our own sodas now! :)

Thanks,
Drew

Back