Oxygen Tanks for Oxynator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddylars

Reaction score
Hi,
I just started using an Oxynator with one of those red disposible O2 tanks from Lowes. I have been turning on the O2 for 15 seconds, then turning it off and waiting for the foam to settle, then turning it on for another 15 seconds for 10 gallons of wort. Does this sound like an adequate amount of time? I have done this with about 10 batches, and on my most recent batch I noticed significantly less bubbles. Is it possible that I am running out of oxygen in the tank ( i have no idea how long it should last) or is possible that my stone is getting clogged? I usually just soak the stone in sanitizer for about 10 min then store in a plastic bag after each use.
Does anyone know if it is possible to use a refillable oxygen source with the Oxynator? Thanks!

Probably running out of oxygen. Those things don't give ANY warning as far as how heavy they feel, they just run out *poof!* <- like that. :mad:

Keep two on hand at all times, when one runs out, you'll have a backup. Just be sure to replace the backup right away :)

Those things don't give ANY warning as far as how heavy they feel, they just run out *poof!* <- like that. :mad:

Keep two on hand at all times, when one runs out, you'll have a backup. Just be sure to replace the backup right away :)

Actually they do. If you have a scale that reads in grams (which you should) You'll need to weigh a full one first, then you can occasionally weigh it again to see how much oxygen you have left.

If you have to stop after 15 seconds due to foam, it's an indication that you're running it WAYYYYY too fast. You should easily be able to run it for 60 seconds with just a small head on top. All those big bubbles on top are full of o2 that is NOT going into the beer.

If you have to stop after 15 seconds due to foam, it's an indication that you're running it WAYYYYY too fast. You should easily be able to run it for 60 seconds with just a small head on top. All those big bubbles on top are full of o2 that is NOT going into the beer.

I will add, if possible to do so, rock or agitate the fermenter after aeration to incorporate some of the O2 that is in head space.

Actually they do. If you have a scale that reads in grams (which you should) You'll need to weigh a full one first, then you can occasionally weigh it again to see how much oxygen you have left.

I don't doubt that it registers a difference on a gram scale, I'm just talking about how they feel. I've had a full one in one hand and an empty one in the other and couldn't tell the difference, so when grabbing one out of the closet there's definitely no "red flag" that it's getting near empty.

As far as weighing it, that's far too much trouble for my lazy *ss. At only 8 bucks a pop, I find it far easier to just always have a backup. :rockin:

I realize that I quoted you, but my post was directed towards the original poster. My point is, there is a very easy way to tell how full the tank is and when it's almost empty. If your to lazy to put the tank on a scale, then that's something you have to deal with yourself.

I echo what Bobby said...if you get too much foam in 15 seconds, you've opened the valve too far.

I barely trickle the O2 into my wort, and just move the SS airstone wand all over the bottom.
I barely see the bubbles breaking on the top...which means most of the O2 is dissolving into solution...the goal of this process.

I trickle in the O2 for about 30 seconds and just barely have foam forming at that point.
I tend to get a little more lag as the yeast consume the O2, then a massive and fast primary/active fermentation (even at 64F with ale yeast) for 2 days and then I'm usually at FG.

i was thinking about buying an Oxynator. do they seem to work as adverstied in reducing final gravity ?

I've used the oxynator on MANY batches and have not really noticed a big effect on the final gravity, therefore I've stopped using it because those small tanks were getting expensive and annoying to keep buying.

This is where a a large welding bottle comes in handy like a 215 cu/ft oxygen bottle, hell they more than pay for them selvesbeing an owner owned bottle vs those little red trash can canisters.

I've been using oxygen with the small bottles since October. First off, I noticed a huge difference in the taste/fermentation of my beer since I started. Secondly, I brew a batch a week and just recently started ten gallon batches. that being said, so far I am on my second red tank of O2 and it is still giving me O2. If you guys are going through that many bottles that it is getting expensive, your flow is way too much. Thats ATLEAST 34 batches (probably closer to 40 with two carboys per ten gallon batch and some weeks where I brew 2-3 bathces) and I'm only on my second tank.
tom

I just finished up my first little red tank. I've been using it for over 1 year. I brew 10 gallon batches twice a month, so that's at least 50 - 5 gallon batches from 1 bottle.

IIRC, the red Bernzomatic disposable oxygen cylinders contain only about 1 cubit foot of oxygen. That's not very much gas. I was fortunate to have a couple of the small welder's type O2 tanks and a regulator fall into my hands for free about five years ago. Neither was completely full when I received them, but I've only depleted one and I think the second one will last at least several more years at my current consumption rate and I'm using it liberally for both the starters and the main wort prior to pitching. I also take a hit off of it occasionally. Very refreshing! :D

IIRC, the red Bernzomatic disposable oxygen cylinders contain only about 1 cubit foot of oxygen. That's not very much gas. I was fortunate to have a couple of the small welder's type O2 tanks and a regulator fall into my hands for free about five years ago. Neither was completely full when I received them, but I've only depleted one and I think the second one will last at least several more years at my current consumption rate and I'm using it liberally for both the starters and the main wort prior to pitching. I also take a hit off of it occasionally. Very refreshing! :D

1 cubic ft is about 28 liters. You need 0.112 liters of oxygen in 20 liters of wort to reach the recommended 8ppm (source). That is 250 5-gallon batches. Obviously that is assuming all goes into solution which it does not, but still....

If you see bubbles coming out the top of the wort, then that oxygen is not going into solution. Turn the flow down until you barely see bubbles. I do this for about 60 seconds.

1 cubic ft is about 28 liters. You need 0.112 liters of oxygen in 20 liters of wort to reach the recommended 8ppm (source). That is 250 5-gallon batches. Obviously that is assuming all goes into solution which it does not, but still....

If you see bubbles coming out the top of the wort, then that oxygen is not going into solution. Turn the flow down until you barely see bubbles. I do this for about 60 seconds.

Very good info, but I don't know of anyone that gets anywhere that kind of mileage using the disposable cylinders. Apparently I'm way over oxygenating my wort. Might have to back off considerably. That should certainly be easy enough to do.

Very good info, but I don't know of anyone that gets anywhere that kind of mileage using the disposable cylinders.

I think the point is, you could if you paid attention to what you're doing.

I can go over a year with one tank and I'm happy with that.

If i'm correct using the 90% absorption as a number with one minute of aeration at 1 litre / minute I should get a O2 concentration of 8 PPM for a 42.28 (160 litre) gallon batch with a SS stone? Taking this basic ratio and reducing the O2 absorption times to match the batch volume size vs altering the litre / minute flow numbers. Hospital medical ball flow gauges of .5 to 15 LPM work great plus come up cheap used on ebay all the time. My meters are manufactured by The Timeter Group model ULO-15 calibrated flow at 50 PSI input.

Back