Growing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srm277

Reaction score
so my sister just bought a new house and has a huge backyard with alot of tree and space that they will never use and i am wondering what i would need to do to grow my own hops. I have made 3 batches so far and am enjoying it. Its a fun hobby that allows me to read while i cook, and have home adventures while i drink, no night is ever dull.
I leave in Northern new jersey. Is it possible to even grow them here, and what would i have to do to make it work?
My bro in law is actually a chemist so i can tell him what people say and have him help me with it all

check out the hops growing threads in the menu.

I haven't tried growing them, but it sounds somewhat simple....

good luck

This site has a separate sub-forum dedicated to growing hops. Check it out.

Basically it is quite easy. Hops are a perennial vine that grows about 18ft. It does best if it can climb a rope to that height. They grow from rhizomes (roots) you can buy from several sights online. NJ weather is pretty good for growing hops without much effort.

Craig

Back