Store-bought Cider in Glass Carboy - Sanitized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclecticitguy

Reaction score
Hey Guys (and Gals),

Been reading this site for a little while but this is my first post. Going to attempt my first brew this weekend with a hard cider. I believe I understand what I need to do but had a quick question about sterilization of store-bought containers.

In order to simplify my first batch, I went to Wholefoods to pick up a gallon of juice/cider and they happen to sell gallon jugs that are made of glass. I did purchase two empty gallon Carboys but was wondering if the store bought Cider jug would be sterile enough to use for primary fermentation. The Cider in the jug is pasteurized so I'm worried about any wild yeast. However, I didn't know if I could simply add my yeast, yeast nutrient, and pectic enzyme directly into the store-bought jug, or whether I should sanitize one of my other Carboys and transfer the juice into one of those.

Thoughts? I appreciate all the help you give and look forward to talking with you all more.

Hey Guys (and Gals),

Been reading this site for a little while but this is my first post. Going to attempt my first brew this weekend with a hard cider. I believe I understand what I need to do but had a quick question about sterilization of store-bought containers.

In order to simplify my first batch, I went to Wholefoods to pick up a gallon of juice/cider and they happen to sell gallon jugs that are made of glass. I did purchase two empty gallon Carboys but was wondering if the store bought Cider jug would be sterile enough to use for primary fermentation. The Cider in the jug is pasteurized so I'm worried about any wild yeast. However, I didn't know if I could simply add my yeast, yeast nutrient, and pectic enzyme directly into the store-bought jug, or whether I should sanitize one of my other Carboys and transfer the juice into one of those.

Thoughts? I appreciate all the help you give and look forward to talking with you all more.

The container should be sanitized that it comes in. So you should be able to open it, pour a little out, add some sugar if you want, and then yeast and ferment in that. Many people do that with plastic 1 gallon jugs.

Awesome! Glad to know this is an option. I guess my question was more coming from the mindset of whether its possible for a jug to be sanitary enough for juice to remain unspoiled, but not sanitary enough to promote yeast growth. I'm likely thinking about this too much, but as I said, this is my first batch and want things to go as smooth as possible (while understanding that I'll certainly learn new things as I go).

Thanks again!

Don't worry, you'll get it. I'm new as well and ruined my first batch, started the second with juice that contained preservatives, and luckily am about to bottle my 3rd in just a week. Like anything there's a learning curve.

Did you have to do anything different with the pasteurized second batch you made? I just started my second after losing my first to stresses out yeast.

Way over thinking it. Cider has little "junk" to krausen up, so it doesn't need a lot of room to ferment. Like everyone else said the container must be clean or they couldn't sell it.
This is how I make my cider.
Dump cider in clean Carboy. Add pectin. 24 hours later add yeast.
All brewers should start with cider because it's the easiest process around.
In your case I would add nutrient, enzyme, later add yeast. Set it and forget. That's that.

Way over thinking it. Cider has little "junk" to krausen up, so it doesn't need a lot of room to ferment. Like everyone else said the container must be clean or they couldn't sell it.
This is how I make my cider.
Dump cider in clean Carboy. Add pectin. 24 hours later add yeast.
All brewers should start with cider because it's the easiest process around.
In your case I would add nutrient, enzyme, later add yeast. Set it and forget. That's that.

Thanks for the help! I likely am over-thinking it, but I'm an engineer by trade, so if I don't over-think things, something is wrong.

Probably over-thinking things again, but I'm a little concerned about oxidation. I'm going to be using a 1.0 Gallon jug for primary fermentation and transferring to a 4L (1.05 Gallon) jug for secondary. Am I going to have too much space in my 4L jug that might cause oxidation?

Thanks again!

You should be fine. Alot of ciders tend to have dissolved co2 in them and if you rack it will come out and create a slight layer to protect your cider. Its more of a problem if you go from a 1 gallon to a 3 or a 5 gallon. Just to much O2 in comparison.

Why not ferment in the 1.05 Gallon jug. There will be sediment at the bottom of the primary. Going from the bigger to smaller container makes more sense.

Why not ferment in the 1.05 Gallon jug. There will be sediment at the bottom of the primary. Going from the bigger to smaller container makes more sense.

I was going to do that exact thing if oxidation on the 1.05 Gallon jug was an issue. I didn't know if it was worth transferring the liquid twice, hence my question here.

Also, if you still feel you have too much space.. buy some glass marbles, sanitize them and drop into jug. I do that when there is a lot of space and fermentation has completed and there is very little to nothing going on. They are cheap at the 99cent stores.

I rack my cider once to get it off the lees, like Randzor said there is dissolved co2. I put airlocks on my ciders and again set it and forget it. The dissolved co2 will act like a blanket protecting your cider from oxidation. This is how aged beers do not become oxidized.

Back