Pressure Cooker Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiriusStarr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly, my apologies if this has been discussed at length previously, but Google didn't reveal anything. I'd like to (or rather I have to) get a pressure cooker for sterilizing equipments/solutions for yeast freezing as well as for canning quarts of wort for starters. I have absolutely no knowledge of pressure cookers however, since real men/women use autoclaves. :D

Anyways, I was wondering if people have recommendations for reasonably priced but decently made pressure cookers to fulfil these needs? Since I'll likely be canning wort, I'll need to fit several quart jars at a time (just for it to be economical with respect to time), and I have no idea what size I would need or what brands are good.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Firstly, my apologies if this has been discussed at length previously, but Google didn't reveal anything. I'd like to (or rather I have to) get a pressure cooker for sterilizing equipments/solutions for yeast freezing as well as for canning quarts of wort for starters. I have absolutely no knowledge of pressure cookers however, since real men/women use autoclaves. :D

Anyways, I was wondering if people have recommendations for reasonably priced but decently made pressure cookers to fulfil these needs? Since I'll likely be canning wort, I'll need to fit several quart jars at a time (just for it to be economical with respect to time), and I have no idea what size I would need or what brands are good.

Thanks!

First of all, I am not an authority on where to get pressue cookers, but merely a fellow brewer who happened to get more than he needed. See, I had one good cooker and was wanting another to speed things along. Well, there were a couple of interesting cookers on ebay. I bid some pitifully small bid on each and got both. Motto: ebay and bid on only one item. :)

I recommend the All American 21.5 qt pressure canner. Perhaps twice the price as the competition, but I think the locking mechanism is superior to gaskets. Plus, it's a one-time purchase, and you could probably pass it off to your grandchildren. It easily fits 7 quart jars, with another layer of smaller goods such as half-pint jars of starter wort if you're looking to propagate frozen and/or slanted yeast.

I have a smaller pressure cooker for food, so I use this strictly for sterilization. It's a beast to store, so keep that in mind.

That all american looks pretty sweet, but for the money I'd go with a Presto 23 Qt. Same capacity and less than half the price. I don't have any problems with gaskets. But if you wear one out, they sell replacements.

Eesh, the All American does look nice, but $218 vs $75. If the Presto lasts 1/3rd as long as the All American it's still (nearly) the better deal... I have heard a lot of good things about the Presto's though. Anyone have any complaints?

When I researched, the complaints I found about the Presto included the thin metal denting easily and subsequently no longer holding pressure, or the regulator blowing off despite being young.

Presto is significantly cheaper, though, which is an important consideration.

I recommend reading reviews from people who use their canners regularly to preserve food, too. There are other forums of gardeners and stashers that probably have more in-depth reviews.

No matter what you get, they pay themselves off preserving yeast and in the time you save making starters. Good luck!

I have a Presto 23 qt that I got brand new about three years ago. I don't toss it around like a football, so no dents :D and it works like a dream. I have a really old Presto that I inherited from my Grandmother. I'm not sure what size it is but it looks like it's been through the trenches. I haven't used it yet, but she was still using it up until about year before she passed. I'm sure you're going to run into a manufacturing defect once in a while, but if that's the case they should replace it.

Eesh, the All American does look nice, but $218 vs $75. If the Presto lasts 1/3rd as long as the All American it's still (nearly) the better deal... I have heard a lot of good things about the Presto's though. Anyone have any complaints?

I've been using the Presto for about 4 years now with no problems. You could buy a lot of gaskets for that price difference...

About the presto gaskets... DON'T store the thing with the lid tightened down! It'll keep the gasket safe for a long time when it's not stored compressed.

MC

I keep my gasket inside the canner when I'm not using it. That's what my parents always did. Does make them last longer.

First of all, I am not an authority on where to get pressue cookers, but merely a fellow brewer who happened to get more than he needed. See, I had one good cooker and was wanting another to speed things along. Well, there were a couple of interesting cookers on ebay. I bid some pitifully small bid on each and got both. Motto: ebay and bid on only one item. :)

Ebay is the way to go. I got a 1950's model that I'm pretty sure could stop an armor-piercing bullet for $10 plus $15 shipping. It's huge and awesome. :rockin:

Back