IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyAAlexander

Reaction score
This is my IPA recipe I've been working on for a while. It's kind of in limbo, what you do ya'll think?

————

12.00 lbs. 2-row
1.00 lbs. Crystal 80L America
0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils

1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 60 min
.50 oz. Simcoe Whole 30 min
.75 oz. Cascade Whole 10 min
.50 oz. Cascade Whole 0 min
1.25 oz. Cascade Whole Dry Hop

Mash @150*F
Boil for 90 minutes
Ferment @68*F

————

Any critiques?

looks like a simple grain bill that fits what an ipa needs. the hop schedule is good, but i personally would move the simcoe to 15 minutes to get that nice piney flavor that its known for. the mash temp is what i normally mash at for my ipas/pa. im not sure if you have already picked up a yeast for this, but i like us05, and i try to ferment at the lower end of the temp scale (62-ish). another personal comment is to add a little more hops to it. maybe a full ounce of simcoe @15 cascade @10 cascade @FO. should be real tasty anyway you do it.

I love Chinook paired with darker crystals (60 to 120L). Like above, move the 30 minute addition to 15-5 minutes. US-05 or Nottingham would be great in that beer.

I would cut the carapils. I find it gives the beer a "foamy" mouthfeel. I would replace it with wheat or flaked barley.

even 1/2 a pound would give that type of mouthfeel?

I don't normally use carapils in my IPAs, as crystal malt aids in foam retention and body as well but you can use it if you want. I'm not a fan of crystal 80L in IPAs, as I like them a little less "toffee" than 80L brings. I'd probably ditch both, and use some crystal 40L if using crystal malt. Some of my best IPAs use no crystal malt as I'm not a fan of sweetness in my IPAs, but others successfully use 40L.

I'd change the hopping for an IPA. This beer has too many hops before 15 minutes left in the boil, and not enough later in the boil. I'd change it up more like this:

1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 60 min

.50 oz. Simcoe Whole 15 min
1 oz. Cascade Whole 10 min
.50 oz. simcoe Whole 5 min
1 oz cascade 0 minutes

1.25 oz. Cascade Whole Dry Hop

I'd drop the carapils, and lower the crystal to .75 personally.

Unless you like a really sweet caramel IPA.

I'd take Yooper's advice on the hop schedule. I'll just toss this out there for a difference of opinion but you could brew with the grainbill as is. It's simple, it will get you an IPA although one that may be a bit sweet. Not bad, just sweeter. That said, you'll know what that tastes like at the end of the day.

Thanks all, I'm taking Yooper's advise and using the recommended hop additions. Dropped the Cara-pils, dropped 1lb 80L to .75lb 40L.

What do you think about adding some Munich, maybe 1lb, or leave it as it is?

Thanks again for the help!

And I'll probably add 05 or Notty, whicht ever I have on hand at the time.

---

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/ipa-3

Back