Brew gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamKoozie

Reaction score
Please help.

I brewed a batch (black IPA) that's been sitting (uncarbonated) in my basement since Memorial Day weekend. Was gonna keg it or toss it... What should I do?

Why would you toss it? Some of the best beers folks have made turned out to be from leavign the beer alone for months in primary or secondary. I've left beers in primary for over 6 months with no issues. WHy would the thought of dumping come so easily to your mind?

I'm new to brewing and didn't know if homebrew batches spoil or not. I heard somewhere that beer is only good for like 2 or 3 months. I know once you bottle it, you're fine, but I didn't know about beer that's not carbonated yet. How long do kegs last?

Kegs last until they kick, provided you do things correctly. A keg in a keezer/brew fridge/kegorator will last a long time since it's chilled, has CO2 going in (carbonating and pushing the beer out) so nothing nasty should get in. Well, provided you clean and sanitize your beer lines properly. It's not a lot of work, just a few minutes of effort to ensure great beer for as long as it lasts.

I have some brews aging that I started in December and February. I moved them from the yeast before adding wood to them, placing them in my aging kegs. I plan on putting them on tap before too long (waiting to get some more kegs).

Back