Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm blowing smoke out of my pipe. I just double checked my order, it was a 3.5 oz tin of MacBaren Virginia from Pipes and Cigar for 14.65. What arrived is 8 ounces of loose leaf Virginia #1. I was a bit dissappointed it was loose leaf because I ordered a tin. - Strike 1

But thought 8 oz is alot of tobacco for ~$15. I talked to a guy at the store and he said my 8 oz of loose leaf should be $19 (okay but I wanted a tin dmnd it) He said I could return at my cost and once they recieved it they'd send out the tin. Strike 2

No offer to send a new tin first with a free return shipping label. Strike 3

Maybe I'm being hard on them. But I wanted a tin! errgh!

Who did you talk to at P&C? This is completely inconsistent with everything I've heard from them in the past.

Thats good to hear. Not sure who it was I talked to but maybe I caught him off guard with my complaint. I did get 4.5 more ounces than I would have with a tin.

I guess this falls into the first world problems category. :eek:

Cool pipes Dan. Never seen that before (but I know that is what you were describing the other day). Of course, I've not studied a lot of pipes either so...

Smoked a bowl of that Balkan Sasieni last night in a Cob. I admit I was really put off by the smell of the tobacco but, DAMN! Has to be just about the best non-aromatic blend I have smoked to date. Amazing smokey-earthy-tobacco flavors from that one.

I concur on the Balkan Saieni...the smell in the tin reminded of Drum cigarette tobacco..which I loved when I was a cigarette smoker, but in the bowl it was amazing...I am most certainly going to keep a tin of that on rotation..

Thats good to hear. Not sure who it was I talked to but maybe I caught him off guard with my complaint. I did get 4.5 more ounces than I would have with a tin.

I guess this falls into the first world problems category. :eek:

I think my twitch about wanting a tin comes from having not bought consistently from any one place. With a tin, I have a reasonable expectation of what I am getting. From bulk, I have no real idea whether one shops Virginia #1 is going to be anywhere close to what I got from the other shop last time.

So here's a question for you pipe smokers out there.

I smoked a good bowl and a half last night. Slow and steady I still haven't been able to avoid tongue bite. Is this something all pipe smokers just deal with or do some pipes/tobacco's really have zero bite?

Being a fan of history and archeology, I've considered getting a traditional English clay pipe.
images

I really like the historical aspect. They were popular from the late 1500's through the late 1800's, and were so common as to be considered a fairly disposable item, and are one of the most common archeological items found on digs in the British Isles.
A common image of workers from those periods is often one with a pipe clenched in the teeth ... so much so that skulls on archeology digs sometimes show a specific groove worn into the teeth from people having clenched one of these pipes in between the teeth for most of the day.

Some really interesting pipes and accessories including Pipe Knives available for purchase at this site ...
http://www.sheffieldexchange.com/pipesand.htm
also
http://www.dawnmist.demon.co.uk/pipesale.htm

So here's a question for you pipe smokers out there.

I smoked a good bowl and a half last night. Slow and steady I still haven't been able to avoid tongue bite. Is this something all pipe smokers just deal with or do some pipes/tobacco's really have zero bite?

It's qwirky for me. i can light a pipe and get bite after the first several draws and then nothing. Or I can get a bite from every draw, set it down and let it rest for a while, light it up again later and it's pure silk.

Some tobacco's have no bite, some only bite in certain pipes. Some bite no matter what, filters help here. Some only bite when they are fresh but after a month they stop.

I just deal with it as best as I can. I like to drink and smoke too. Bite can make that particularly uncomfortable.

My pipe, tobacco and other paraphernalia has been delivered to the house! Now I just gotta get done with this hitch so I can get home and get that puppy broke in.

Blah. Mine won't be till Thursday. I got 6 different tins to try. Also my stout should be carbed up enough by then to :).

TowsonTiger22 said:
Nice pipe Ace. I've got a churchwarden at home. I'll smoke while reading, or brewing. I now need a wizard hat.

Yep, same. I'll post pics of my churchwarden and corn cob soon.

TowsonTiger22 said:

Read up on that. I was looking at the exact same pipe for a while but read that it's wooden all the way to the mouthpiece. Some people said at it absorbs moisture and can crack and split.

Not personal experience, but it was enough to keep me from getting it as one of my first pipes. I got into pipes for the same reasons you listed... Wheel of Time, DnD, and LoTR!

Read up on that. I was looking at the exact same pipe for a while but read that it's wooden all the way to the mouthpiece. Some people said at it absorbs moisture and can crack and split.

Not personal experience, but it was enough to keep me from getting it as one of my first pipes. I got into pipes for the same reasons you listed... Wheel of Time, DnD, and LoTR!

My other reason, can't do cigars. Tried all different kinds, and I don't like the pukey feeling.

Pipe tobacco and cigarettes are no-nos in my book to be healthy and live a very long life with the one you love forever....

jancan123 said:
Pipe tobacco and cigarettes are no-nos in my book to be healthy and live a very long life with the one you love forever....

Thank you for that. Never heard any of this before. And... never knew that by not smoking I could live a very long life.... forever

worksnorth said:
Thank you for that. Never heard any of this before. And... never knew that by not smoking I could live a very long life.... forever

Im not being mean, just saying

In my book pipe tobacco is required to be healthy and live a very long life with the one you love forever....

Holy CARP, you mean I can live FOREVER if I don't smoke my pipe twice a week?!?!!? Well, Hal-a-F-ing-lujah!! Immortality, here I come!!!!!

Also, I note you do not include cigars in your no-no list. I assume then that they are totally kosher as an enjoyable part of your, die-no-more plan?

I would be interested to hear your take on some of the other items that bring me moments of simple pleasure like a pint of beer, quiet moments, laughing with my kids, a daily jog, and trips to Disneyland. Verboten?

:p:p:p

jancan123 said:

and yet here you are on a website, where the whole point is to brew toxic alcohol.

you have strayed.....mail me all of your brewing equipment at your expense please.

Probably out of style these days. I haven't smoked a pipe in years, until tonight ...

Jan (Mrs. Dan) has a plan,
to stop her beau's smoking anything but whitefish and ham
her public pronouncement met with some astoundment
so she continues to post as only jancan

Jacob_Marley said:
Jan (Mrs. Dan) has a plan,
to stop her beau's smoking anything but whitefish and ham
her public pronouncement met with some astoundment
so she continues to post as only jancan

Nice!!!!

CreamyGoodness said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but that is basically my number 1 pet peeve. Actually, its less a peeve and more a psychotic psychopathic all out hatred. On my lunar colony this jancan character and the little yutz who posted "why not just eat chicken breast" on an offal recipe website would be forced to fight to the death gladiator style with only a soup spoon and a series of pinecones.

Hah Ahhh they are just putzes! I just wish I had the clarity not to get sucked into their idiocy. Maybe someday? Hah I'd buy a ticket to your fight night though

I had some idea here about adding gruit to pipe tobacco. Now I'm picturing the pipe and tobacco-blend-therein I will be invited to jam into my posterior.

Mix hops with baco.. Make it a blend... Or add some bacco during flame out :p

Well, now I am sitting in a pool of my own sweat after someone kindly spelled out what I should have been smart enough to pick up on. I thought jancan was a random poster threadcrapping, and I responded the way I did... abominably. I hearby apologize to both Dan and his wife publically, and will be doing so privately as well. This makes for the single worst thing I have ever done on Homebrewtalk, and I am beside myself.

Is Jan really Mrs Dan? Does Dan see as only Dan can?
And what of this forever that be the JanDan plan?

From ashes to ashes in a white puff of smoke,
Dan ponders love forever with a dried leafy toke,
What vices, I wonder, does Jan like to keep,
Or is a bed for one dreamer where Dan chose to sleep?

A pool of sweat and creamygoodness, did I read that all right?
Metaphorical fate, if Dan smokes one more night.
If this be reality of what Jan makes replete,
A reminder for Dan, for GOD sakes change the sheet!

Back