Learning Grain Flavors...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TapeDeck

Reaction score
Better to try SMaSH or to use a common base malt and then experiment with one additional grain?

I want to make my own recipes, but the problem is that I know what I like in the finished product, but I don't know what to tweak to get more of "what makes it better" because it's such a subjective thing.

For you cats who have been doing this forever, what did you do? Just make a leaping buttload of beer, or did you get systematic in trying things out?

A smash is a great way to learn about grains and I would suggest smaller batches:)

If you have a friendly LHBS they may also let you chew on some grain, it's not the greatest taste but you'll be amazed at how different grains actually taste. Also, somewhere on this site is a grain chart, I've never seen it or referenced it but have seen people mention it, maybe someone knows or has the link. Also, a lot of the catalogs out there have grain charts with flavor profiles for grain and their typical uses.

I would also recommend "Designing Great Beer" by Ray Daniels
You can also peruse the Recipe WIKI here and read through different styles and recipes to see how people go about using different grains for different beers

I have an epic great LHBS (Chicago Brew Werks in Plainfield, IL) that has let me taste a whole bunch of different grains--he stocks everything. It has been informative, but I still think I have to make beer with them to connect the dots between the grain taste and the beer it produces.

This gives me a great idea, that is probably VERY VERY OLD HAT, but I guess that from now on, I will keep a small quantity of each grain before milling, to taste alongside my finished beers. That's probably the best way I'll be able to connect the dots between ingredients and finished beer.

The fear with SMaSH is ... a whole ton of boring beer in your keg, right? :) I don't know that I have the right gear on hand to do small batch stovetop all grain beers, so if I'm using the bigger gear, I'm gonna want to do 5 gal.
I probably HAVE to do it, but maybe I should wait until closer to the holidays and foist it off on unsuspecting family members who will simply be happy to have free beer. :)

I have an epic great LHBS (Chicago Brew Werks in Plainfield, IL) that has let me taste a whole bunch of different grains--he stocks everything. It has been informative, but I still think I have to make beer with them to connect the dots between the grain taste and the beer it produces.

This gives me a great idea, that is probably VERY VERY OLD HAT, but I guess that from now on, I will keep a small quantity of each grain before milling, to taste alongside my finished beers. That's probably the best way I'll be able to connect the dots between ingredients and finished beer.

The fear with SMaSH is ... a whole ton of boring beer in your keg, right? :) I don't know that I have the right gear on hand to do small batch stovetop all grain beers, so if I'm using the bigger gear, I'm gonna want to do 5 gal.
I probably HAVE to do it, but maybe I should wait until closer to the holidays and foist it off on unsuspecting family members who will simply be happy to have free beer. :)

They don't have to be boring beers and you will still use predominatly a base malt but you can brew some great Pales and IPAs as a smash.

You can use 100% Pale ale malt with one type of hop or 100% Maris. Lots of good/great beers are actually very simple grain bills and it's not like you need to try every grain out there:) Once you start to get a feel for a grain you will begin to learn how the others will play into the recipe and the learning curve shortens.

If you wanted to make yourself a crash course in grains, it would pretty easy and cheap. Buy 4oz of a bunch of different grains. Add them to 1 cup of 165 degree water, set all the cups on a tray, and stick them in warm oven for a half hour. Tada! grain tea. Taste test them side by side and compare your impressions to how they are described online.

Of course, grain tea kinda sucks, so it more fun to brew up a real beer instead. eg SMaSH or just tweak a recipe you like with a bit of something new.

Latest posts

Back