Fermentation Issue??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasBrewMan

Reaction score
Ok, so I have read on here that people were having problems with their fermentation process not starting right off the bat.

Mine started within about 3 hours and had serious bubbles in my airlock; however my issue now after about 72 hours the bubbling has stopped completely. I cannot find anywhere on this forum where this is talked about so maybe one of you guys can share with me what's happening here? I am sure everything is going to plan and fermentation is still happening, but just want to make sure.

Did you take gravity readings? If you don't have a hydrometer, you are in the dark. I would just let it sit for 14 days or so to finish, settle and clear, then rack.

Ok, I was just checking. I will sit and let it do its thing for the next week and I will get a hydrometer this weekend and get a reading.

Once you have a hydrometer, you can take two readings spaced at least 3 days apart and then compare the readings to see if there is change. If not, then sugars have been converted. I broke my hydrometer recently and this was not a problem, I just had to be patient and let the yeast take its time.

VegasBrewMan said:
Also, maybe a stupid question...but what do you mean by "rack?"

Rack = remove from primary fermentor to a secondary, bottling bucket, keg, etc. It's a transfer.

You are in no hurry and fermentations go through their own timeline. Leaving it sit longer is always a safe choice. The advice of taking a reading with a hydrometer is a good one - it tells you current gravity (how much sugars are left) and if that doesn't change in 3 days, and you are near the recipes projected final gravity, you are safe to move it to the next step. I like to give my beers a minimum of 10 - 14 days in primary and leave them a little longer to let the yeast clean up after themselves and floculate (drop out of suspension to the bottom).

Back