Remove Hops for Fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpogo

Reaction score
After boiling the extract and water with added hops, is it recommended to strain the hops out before entering the fermentor? If I leave the boiled hops in the wort will it affect the flavor?

The how to brew book says this, "you can remove them during this step by pouring the wort into the fermentor through a strainer. It is not necessary to remove the hops, however."

You can remove them if you want by using a strainer, or leave them in there. They'll settle to the bottom and you can just siphon above it when you rack to the bottling bucket or clearing tank. I usually pour my wort through a strainer so I have less trub in the fermenter, but it really doesn't matter taste wise.

I like the whirlpooling method myself. Here is a picture of my brew today. This was a 30IBU ordinary bitter but I use the same method (with the same result) for 75IBU IPA's as well. A little irish moss in the boil keeps that hop cone nice and jelly-like so it doesn't get sucked into the dip tube. No straining necessary.

5408-whirlpool_result.jpg

I just leave all the trub in the primary and rack to the secondary a couple of days after I hit my final gravity. Strainers have way too many nooks and crannies for critters to hide.

I strain em. I love em. While I am cleaning the kitchen I'll take a pinch of spent hops every few minutes, roll on the tongue a little, press against roof of mouth.

I am flying high right now, I have had about half an ounce of 7.0 hops, but I have only had two beers. 5:56 pacific time just now.

After cooling, I pour the whole pot in the primary, hops and all. I use irish moss, also. It all will settle out and after about a week I rack to a secondary. Since I started using irish moss, I have pretty beers!

Poindexter said:
I strain em. I love em. While I am cleaning the kitchen I'll take a pinch of spent hops every few minutes, roll on the tongue a little, press against roof of mouth.

I am flying high right now, I have had about half an ounce of 7.0 hops, but I have only had two beers. 5:56 pacific time just now.

You could also roll it, and get the same effect.. Not sure what it taste like, but I'll be trying it..

I heard hops was smoked before it was used to spice beer.

Back