Keg foams like a bastid when it gets low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
Anybody else run into this?
When there's about 7 inches or so left it starts foaming so bad there is only about an inch of beer in the glass. Once I figured this out it comes in handy (know when to get another keg ready). But it was driving me nuts for a while when all of a sudden I was getting tons of foam after not having a beer for a couple of days.

How long does it usually take for you to drink a keg down to that level. I'm thinking it's possible that your pressure is too high in general so over enough time it gets way over carbed.

Is your dip tube submerged completely? Sometimes the dip tube may be either bent, or cut short and even though you have 6-7 inches of beer, the tube is short (or bent) enough that it starts sucking air at 6-7 inches.

Just a thought.

No, the tube is all the way into the recess at the bottom.

Pressure is always below 12psi.

It's wierd, once there is less than3" it stops foaming untill it kicks.
Could just be some wierd pressure fluctuations. I'm not consistant with always keeping pressure on the kegs when not drinking (still carbed), or the rate at which I drink.

Assuming this is in a kegger, I suspect the bottom of the cornie is colder than the top, so it is absorbing more CO2. That would mean more de-gassing when it hits the glass.

Back