Left on yeast 15 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapaglia

Reaction score
ok, on 1/9/2009 ( yes 2009) I started 2.5 Gal Apple Juice + 12 oz Tree top concentrate, OG 1.054,
3 teas. Nutrient,
1.5 teas. Energizer,
aerated with O2 2L for 2 minutes
pitched SafeAle S-04 yeast 11.5 grams hydrated in 1/2 cup 99 deg water.

On 2/18/2009 the FG was 1.002.

At that point I got really sick and other than being stored on the yeast its not been touched except for keeping the air lock filled.

Question. Im well enough to bottle it but only if its worth it after being on the yeast for this long.

What should I do? Bottle it, Toss it?

Suggestions?

FYI its clear with no indication of any problems.

Michael

Taste and smell it first, you'll know if you should dump it or not. If it smells like 3 day old gorilla poop left in a diaper on the side of a desert highway, in August, then you'll know if it's worth bottling or not.

Taste and smell it first, you'll know if you should dump it or not. If it smells like 3 day old gorilla poop left in a diaper on the side of a desert highway, in August, then you'll know if it's worth bottling or not.
The way you paint a canvas...you sure you're not an artist??? :drunk:

Come on Revvy, we all know the CORRECT order is to SMELL it first THEN taste it...:D

I'm surprised you didn't mention if it tastes like Satan's A$$...;)

Should I add a tiny bit of new yeast in each bottle or will whats still in suspension, if its there, be enough to once I rack it off the old yeast and bottle it?

I'd add new yeast.

Who knows if those old yeasties are even still alive and able to perform. And if they are, they'll probably take a lot longer than fresh healthy ones to carbonate.

Latest posts

Back