Two hearted ale kit from AHS.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanN

Reaction score
Two Hearted Ale is by FAR my favorite beer. Clearly the next best thing for me would be a clone (IMO), the AHS clone has a White Labs California Ale yeast but lists Safale US-05 as a option. I have the Safale in the fridge, is there any benefit to the White Labs? I've read the comments on this clone on their site, any other comments?

I got this kit and it turned out to be a good beer. But I was confused to find out later that Two Hearted is an All-Centennial IPA. The kit from AHS was all amarillo hops.

Was this recently or 6+ months ago? I assumed that last year was when the amarillo was used, not currently.

Go with the US-05, from what I hear it's exactly the same as the White Labs California Ale yeast.

Since you're in Michigan you should try to culture the yeast from a bottle of Two Hearted. I've heard of people doing this successfully. Bell's uses a proprietary yeast strain, so using their yeast will probably make your clone more like the original. The yeast they use for bottling is the same yeast they use for fermentation.

Bell's is one of the only things I miss from my time in Kalamazoo!

There is a thread in the recipe section for a Two Hearted clone. IIRC the OP has tried several yeasts and talks about his result with each. You might find what you are looking for there.

There is a Partial Mash Recipe posted that is nearly spot on.

It's called Ugly Fish by MStev50.

I have made this recipe 4 times. 3 times w/ WL Cal Ale and once with US-05. Not much of a discernable difference in the two. Both yeasts are very clean fermenting yeasts.

I think the proprietary yeast would be a good time investment. There is a slight bubble gum/cotton candy flavor in Bell's THA that I have yet to be able to replicate.

Back