In mid mash - need a quick answer please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
Ok my Rims heater did not kick on (dumb, forgot to switch to auto mode) and for the first 40 minutes the temp dropped from 153 to 140F.

Now that I fixed that problem how long do you think I should extend the mash time? If at all?

I would think you should bring the temperature back to the desired mash temperature and then mash for the necessary time according to the recipe so that you get full conversion at the proper temperature.

I think he is saying he is back up to temp. I would think you will be OK, you won't need to extend the mash time at all.

Never did get back to temp as the RIMS heater could not handle the 35lb load of grain on the way back up. I can't believe I forgot to switch to auto. Wound up adding 20 minutes and sparged a bit hotter than normal - Pretty sure when it is all fermented out I will have BEER. Too old to sweat the minor screw ups of life. Thanks for the replies !!!

Back