Did my pale ale turn out to dark?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It certainly looks dark. Posting your recipe will certainly help us figure out where you went wrong. Without any additional info, I'd guess you had too much specialty grain.

no, its not too dark. more depth makes it look darker, but even then its not too dark to be a pale ale.

btw, in the future i wouldnt waste your time racking to a secondary for a week if you're kegging. your keg is basically your secondary

Is it a Pale Ale or an IPA?

American Pale Ale ranges from 5-14srm
American IPA 6-15
Belgian Pale Ale 8-14
English IPA 8-14
ESB 6-18

It is hard to tell exactly from your photo but it looks as if you are right at about 13-14SRM and I would say if you were over it isn't by much. Definitley not dark enough to be a CDA

BJCP- Appearance: Pale golden to deep amber.
I guess this is "deep amber" which would be okay

Hah, I have a beer in a demijohn that has that colour and in the UK the product would be classified as 'golden'! The ones that I'd say are on the amber / copper side of the pale ale or bitter range usually look brown in a vessel of that size.

Latest posts

Back