Dry Corn Syrup???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indyking

Reaction score
Hi guys, I decided my next brew will potentially be the following recipe to take advantage of some of the ingredients I already have, but I have not been able to find Dry Corn Syrup anywhere!

AHS has a liquid corn syrup, not dry as in the recipe, and they only carry 3lb bottles or larger. I can use the liquid one and try to estimate the amount that is closer to the 250gr of dry syrup in the recipe, but will end up with lots of left over liquid syrup, which I will probably never use! Does anybody has a suggestion for a substitute for the dry corn syrup or maybe know where I can find it?

Coopers Stout
1 can Coopers Stout

750g Dark Dry Malt Extract

500g Light Dry Malt Extract

250g Dry Corn Syrup

200g Raw Sugar

50g Roasted Barley

16g Willamette Hop Pellets (boiling)

10g Willamette Hops (finishing)

1 Pkt Coopers Dry Ale Yeast

Bottle conditioning----4 weeks (min)

You can use liquid corn syrup...I believe.

You need to make sure, when using corn syrup, that it does not exceed more than 20% of your total ferment-able sugars or you will get a dry cider off taste when you open your first beer.

It's not syrup if it's dry, but I bet that means corn sugar, the same as many people prime with.

Really? I do have lots of corn sugar in stock, so wonder if I can just replace the syrup for it?

Does anybody else think that the "dry" syrup the recipe is talking about is the same thing of corn sugar?

The coopers stout can came with a pack of their brand's brewing sugar, which is 80% dextrose - 20% maltodextrin. I think I just going to use that to replace the "dry corn syrup" in the recipe. What do you reckon?

That might work better, because the maltodextrin will give it some more body. 250 grams of that isn't going to give you the same amount of fermentables as 100% dextrose though, you'll have to up it my 25% (200 g of dextrose in that brewing sugar), or add 50 g of dextrose.

That might work better, because the maltodextrin will give it some more body. 250 grams of that isn't going to give you the same amount of fermentables as 100% dextrose though, you'll have to up it my 25% (200 g of dextrose in that brewing sugar), or add 50 g of dextrose.

I see, but isn't the maltodextrin in the coopers brewing sugar contributing with fermentables?

I think that it will contribute to the gravity, but maltodextrin isn't fermentable. It's more a of a mouthfeel thing, and it isn't sweet. You could just add the same mass of brewer's sugar that you have, but the ABV probably won't be the same.

I see, but isn't the maltodextrin in the coopers brewing sugar contributing with fermentables?

maltodextrin is a long chain of dextrose units, I don't think brewers yeast can ferment anything bigger than a disaccharide or maybe a trisaccharide.

maltodextrin is a long chain of dextrose units, I don't think brewers yeast can ferment anything bigger than a disaccharide or maybe a trisaccharide.

I think that it will contribute to the gravity, but maltodextrin isn't fermentable. It's more a of a mouthfeel thing, and it isn't sweet. You could just add the same mass of brewer's sugar that you have, but the ABV probably won't be the same.

OK Thanks. So instead of using 250 gr of coopers brewing sugar, which contains 200 gr of dextrose, I will use approximately 312 gr of it, which contains roughly 250 gr of dextrose (needed for the recipe) and 62 gr of maltodextrin). I suppose that will do it.

As I was reading the recipe I wondered if they mean Dark Corn Syrup? It would have been easy to mistype since they had started the first two lines with "Dry."

Dextrose Monohydrate = Corn Sugar = priming sugar = dry corn syrup

All the same.

Just like DME is 25% more concentrated than liquid, Corn sugar is 25% more concentrated than corn syrup.

Forrest

Dextrose Monohydrate = Corn Sugar = priming sugar = dry corn syrup

All the same.

Just like DME is 25% more concentrated than liquid, Corn sugar is 25% more concentrated than corn syrup.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest... I just ordered a whole bunch of stuff from you guys...

Back