How this Pale Ale Sound?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
How's this American Pale Ale AG sound to the gang? Any comments, suggestions?

9.5 lbs. Domestic 2-row Malt
.5 lb. Cara-Pils Malt
.5 lb. Crystal Malt (60)
.25 oz Northern Brewer Pellet(60 min)
.75 oz Perle Pellet (60 min)
1 oz Cascade Pellet (15 min)
.75 oz Cascade Pellet (0 min)
.75 oz Cascade Whole (dry hop)
WLP001 California Ale Yeast

5.5 gallons, OG=1.051, 44.4 IBU's, 6.6 SRM, 60 min boil

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

I personally would change the crystal to 40L and
use 1lb of it. Also, I would use Wyeast 1968 mainly
because I like fruity esters in a pale ale. Hops look
great! Good Luck with it.

i originally did have the 40 crytsal, but the SRM was way too light. i wanted a little more color, and i wanted my OG up around 1.051-1.052. this will be my house ale, so i'll take ntes from the feedback i get, and tweak the next batch.

thanks!
DeRoux's Broux

Here is another suggestion. I'm assuming here your efficiency is 75%. Plugged in your numbers and thats what is looks like. Anyway here tis:

Pale Malt 2row American 9.5 lbs
Carapils Dextrin .5 lbs
Crystal 40 L .5 lbs
Munich 2row (amer) .5 lbs
Honey Malt .5 lbs
= 6.8 est srm SG 1.056

This would give a little more complexity to the malt finish. I wouldn't touch the hop schedule though.

-DBA

DeRoux,

I like it. I'm think I'm gonna brew it (if you don't mind of course), when are you?
I have all of those ingredients on hand except for crystal 60 and the carapils.
I think I'll mash a bit hotter to get the body, and I'll sub in a tad of wheat malt for body and head retention. I have crystal 40 on hand so I'll use that instead of the 60.

I'm brewing something tomorrow, so we should do one and compare notes!

DBAib12 said:
Here is another suggestion....
Honey Malt .5 lbs

DBAib12, I like this suggestion as well. I've been reading about honey malt lately and it has me intrigued. If I had some of this on hand I'd probably add it to this recipe as well. I think the honey malt would give a really nice sweet malty flavor which would add super flavors to this beer.

be my guest! i was just fart'n around on promash and was tryingto come up with one close to SNPA, and ended up with that. my ingredients should be here tomorrow, and i'll brew it Saturday (in 110 degree heat! smart hu?).

i wish i would have waited to get DBA's response and I would have adjusted a little more. but, it's within the BJCP guidelines and can give me a recipe to work with. i've never brewed the same beer twice, and i want a house beer on tap all the time.

give it a whirl and we'll see what we get!
cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux said:
give it a whirl and we'll see what we get!
cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

A recipe it is then!

I'm still thinking if I get up the energy, I might head over to the LHBS and pick up some honey malt. I need a new glass carboy so I just might do that.

I'd like to do the exact same brew but that one is really close to my Lake Walk recipe minus the carapils and NB hops--so adding some honey malt just really has me thinking......

Either way its going to taste awesome. You are gonna love your version.

I have an ESB I made with Honey Malt. It is awesum IMHO. I brew 10 gal
recipes and I used 2# of it. I was really glad I did. I dry hop all my pale ales and ESB's. I have company coming for the 4th of July and I am trying not to drink all of it before hand. Had to go out and buy some Flying Dog just to help me throttle back on it. If anyone is interested in the recipe I will post it.

-DBA

i love ESB's. there is a small brewpub in Lake Charles, LA, Rikenjaks, and they make a damn good ESB. they used to have a small brewery outside New Orleans, but it closed. then they opend the brewpub in Lake Charles, so I can't get it in bottles. post, i'll jot it down and at it to my "to-do" list.

Orrelse, I'll name my cerveza "Cerveza Acuna" in honor of the home town of "the Mexican Blackbird" :~)

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

DBAib12 said:
I personally would change the crystal to 40L and
use 1lb of it. Also, I would use Wyeast 1968 mainly
because I like fruity esters in a pale ale. Hops look
great! Good Luck with it.

well DBA, i got to change my grain bill. seems the guy @ my local HBS and myself got to visiting too much on the phone, and my grains never got ordered! :p my yeast and hops made it though.....
i didn't change much.

10 lbs. Domerstic 2-row
.5 lb. Cara-Pils
.5 lb. Crytsal 50 (they didn't have 40)

i made the adjustments on promash, and now my numbers are almost dead on to the SNPA #'s. 36.9 IBU's, SG 1.054 (13.25 Plato), 6.2 SRM.

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Latest posts

Back