Help!!! quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherry300zx

Reaction score
Hey guys as of right now I have my first batch boiling i was wondering if your suppose to strain the wort out when you put it in the fermenter or leave everything together and then strain for the second phase of fermentation?

Cool then strain it into your primary. It will be cleaner. Some believe if you just dump it all in off flavors my occur.

I'm in the strain b4 primary camp, but I'm not sure it matters either way as everything you're straining out should drop to the bottom.

I don't strain. I want all those hop goodies in the primary for a couple weeks. After two weeks I siphon into a secondary for another week of clearing.

Whatever you do, don't pour it through a strainer after it's fermented (eg b/w primary and secondary), because it'll oxidise and give you off-flavours. Just let it settle out in primary and syphon without picking it up. Or strain before primary.

Latest posts

Back