Tracking keg maintenance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
I'm starting to amass corny kegs and am interested in tracking the maintenance that I do to them (so I don't replace things too frequently).
Example:
The first two I bought I replaced the gaskets.
The next one I'm buying is going to be a refurb...gaskets, poppets, pressure relief valve, etc.

Do I just write on the side with a sharpie?
I thought about a paper tag hanging off the handle, but that wouldn't survive getting wet.
Or...I could assign each one a number and track in a paper notebook.

What does everyone else do?

I'm starting to amass corny kegs and am interested in tracking the maintenance that I do to them (so I don't replace things too frequently).
Example:
The first two I bought I replaced the gaskets.
The next one I'm buying is going to be a refurb...gaskets, poppets, pressure relief valve, etc.

Do I just write on the side with a sharpie?
I thought about a paper tag hanging off the handle, but that wouldn't survive getting wet.
Or...I could assign each one a number and track in a paper notebook.

What does everyone else do?

I fix/replace things when needed. When the gaskets get too loose, or something doesn't look like it should, I replace them.

I break down and clean kegs and eyeball everything between beers going in them, and I use keg lube on the gaskets and o-rings routinely to keep them supple. Otherwise, I don't do anything to them.

Get a stencil kit and number your kegs. Spray paint a number on each. Then you can keep a separate spreadsheet/log tracking the maintenance.

I've started writing notes on mine with a sharpie. It isn't for general maintenance, as much as pressure issues. I trust some kegs/lids more than others. A few have the thicker gaskets. I have a couple kegs that need their poppets replaced. They'll work if I keep the disconnects attached, but I don't want to store anything in them and eventually I'll get the fixed.

Sharpies aren't 100% permanent btw, so if you want to keep a running history, they do wear from rubbing or scrubbing... just something to keep in mind

Paper tags don't work because they get wet and can get caught under the lid unless positioned just so. I periodically replace the *complete* set of gaskets, then print the date on a p-touch label to the keg. So far so good.

Just keep spares of everything. Replace anything that looks worn or damaged. I don't use any of the keg lubes I have never needed them, and don't want it in contact with my beer. I put a little olive oil on the post o-rings for the QD's. I star-san kegs after setting the seal with 30psi then I spray them down again after there empty as the keg warms up the it's easier to look for poppet leaks. O-rings in bulk keeps costs down then a half dozen poppets, and a spare relief valve and you will take care of most maintenance. Break everything down for cleaning and inspection and if it leaks replace it and your good to go.

Back