Where can i buy hops rhizomes now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
I'm looking for a place that will ship them now. Most places I've seen say they will only ship in late march or early April. I live in Florida and want to get a head start growing them before it gets too damn hot ( Aka march :p) !

Buy a complete hop crown from Great Lakes Hops. A little more expensive but it'll be healthier and really spring up. Give
you a good crop this year

There's a reason they're all available in March-April because that's how the hop plant grows.

You can order from willingham nurseries in the uk. got mine in december but they are still shipping

I second buying from Great Lakes. I stopped by on my way back to Chicago from a brewery tour in Michigan and they are a great wealth of information. I was lucky enough to get a few huge hop plants that are already a couple of years old. I can not wait for it to be spring so I can plant these guys.

Buy a complete hop crown from Great Lakes Hops. A little more expensive but it'll be healthier and really spring up. Give
you a good crop this year

There's a reason they're all available in March-April because that's how the hop plant grows.

I'm looking to start a 1st year garden...

Can't find anything via search, so what's up with going with crowns vs. rhizomes and 1st year yields?

A rhizome will grow into a crown. Initially, the rhizome is kinda like a 'starter kit' as it will grow roots AND shoots during the first year. This pretty much takes up all the energy stored in the rhizome to accomplish this feat during the establishment year. After the roots are established, you can pretty much call it a crown being that at this point, all systems are now in place and the plant's excess energy can now go into producing flowering shoots as opposed to having to be spent on root growth. If that doesn't make any sense, don't worry, I've had a few. Grow On!

Makes perfect sense. Hence the roughly 2x price tag tag for a crown vs rhizome.

So can I just go ahead and plant a crown in the same manor as a rhizome?

Yes, you should prep and plant them the same as a rhizome just get it in the ground when you can.

Back