Clarifying/Dry Hopping Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
Im going to brew a IIPA and im not sure what order to do the Cold Crashing, Dry Hopping, and Clarifying(with gelatin). I was thinking Primary-> DH in Primary -> Secondary -> Cold Crash w/ Gelatin -> Keg

My concern is that clarifying after dry hopping will reduce the hoppiness. Is there any truth to my concerns?

HopOnHops said:
Im going to brew a IIPA and im not sure what order to do the Cold Crashing, Dry Hopping, and Clarifying(with gelatin). I was thinking Primary-> DH in Primary -> Secondary -> Cold Crash w/ Gelatin -> Keg

My concern is that clarifying after dry hopping will reduce the hoppiness. Is there any truth to my concerns?

DH after racking to secondary. I would not DH in the primary. I usually DH in secondary and only for seven days total. My schedule for most ales is 2 wks primary, rack to secondary and finish for 1wk. After finishing, DH for 5 days then cold crash for 2 days. The only time I used gelatin, it did not strip beer of flavor or aroma. Was not too pleased with results so I purchased a filter to clarify my beer. Also doubles as a randall. I would read up more on dry hopping and not worry so much about gelatin stripping out flavor/aroma.

You can dryhop in the primary with success, but since you already said that you're using a secondary, I would put all of your loose dryhops in the empty secondary and then rack the beer on top of it (you could bag the dryhops too, or keg hop with a bag). Cold crash w/gelatin after your dryhop time is complete. I prefer 4-5 days for the cold crash. Dryhop can be anywhere from 1-2 weeks.

Back