Strainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisfiac

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I'm curious if anyone has tried an automotive paint strainer--like those used to strain paint before going into the spray gun--to remove hops/trub. My thought was to santitize a funnel and place the strainer into the funnel. Then, run star san through it a few times to sanitize it and wet it out.

I was thinking this could be places on top of the fermentor, and the BK drained through the strainer. Or if dry hopping, used to remove the hops into secondary.

Am I way off mark? Is there anything I should be concerned with?

--Thanks, Chris

Thanks for the reply. If I used one of these http://morebeer.com/view_product/9684/103792/Kettle_Tube_Screen in my BK, do you think it would still clog? Or combined, is it overkill?

--Cheers

If you use pellet hops, that kettle tube screen will clog like crazy. If you use leaf hops that kettle screen will get them all, and filter out the hot break too, since the leaf hops set up on the screen, and then the hot break can't get through. But trust me, do NOT use that screen with unbagged pellet hops. Ask me how I know! :drunk:

Paint strainer bags are awesome. I build a "hops spider" with it, I use one to filter things, hold hops, etc. An easy way to use one if you're using buckets is to sanitize a large (5 gallon size) strainer, and line the fermenter with it. Dump your wort in, pull up the paint strainer, and you're done.

Back