Friend is clueless and plans on brewing Sunday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boiseburb

Reaction score
I had a friend try my simple amber I brewed from a 2 gallon food grade bucket fermenter. Tasty beer I might add. He's decided to pick up a similar setup and brew this weekend. He has yet to do much research or seek out any advice. He also plans to use Mason jars as his bottles :confused:

I whipped up a quick resource for him. This is what I do and it works well for me. If anyone is bored or feels the need to waste their time feel free to check it out.

A couple notes: I've had great luck with leaving my beer in primary longer than most people, so that's what I am advising. any feedback is welcome

Does he know / understand the difference between brewing & distilling? In my mind mason jar = moonshine (or preserves)

Just a heads up, mason jars as bottles will probably end up as bombs

Is that because it has a harder time with the pressure from the carbonation?

He's going with the mason jars because its cheaper. I told him I thought it would be problematic. Hey, some people have to learn the hard way. Who knows, it just might work. I wouldn't do it though.

Definitely get bottles, they aren't that expensive. if your making 2 gallon batches you'll only need like a 24pack of sam adams then you'll be set on bottles. Caps and wing cappers are also very inexpensive. Mason jars make me nervous. Worst case scenario you'll have bottle bombs or undercarbonated beer. Best case scenario you'll get weird looks when you give beer samples from mason jars.
Prolonged fermentation time isn't always necessary. IF you have a hydrometer you can tell exactly when its done(depending on the strain of yeast). Waiting longer is safe, but I find lower gravity beers don't age well.

Mason jars won't hold pressure (beer will never carbonate) and if they do manage to hold on to pressure, they're not made for it and ka-boom!! Seriously - drink a case of pry-offs and re-use those bottles.

boiseburb said:
Is that because it has a harder time with the pressure from the carbonation?

He's going with the mason jars because its cheaper. I told him I thought it would be problematic. Hey, some people have to learn the hard way. Who knows, it just might work. I wouldn't do it though.

I say it because I've done it..my first batch a few years ago. I decited to save money and use mason jars..bottled it up and went out of town for the weekend. Came back to 36 blown apart jars and a pool of beer in my bedroom. I assume the jars just are not rated at a high enough psi.when people pressure cook in mason jars they are creating a vacume in the bottle, carbination is the opposite. Like the other guy said. 2 gallons is a 24 pack. Get a case of Sam and use those

Seriously - drink a case of pry-offs and re-use those bottles.

This. Or get some from friends or recycling dumpster near you. Bottle caps are like $4 a gross (144). Not expensive.

if youre trying to be thrifty then used beer bottles have to be the best option by a large margin.

If he's one of those that just won't take advice, let him live and learn and don't rub it in when he tells you he has 2 gallons of beer on the floor and and a bunch of shattered Mason jars (which aren't cheap by the time you buy lids and rings).

There are two things that are paramount for maing decent beer. Having enough yeast, and fermenting at a proper temperature. Since this is a 2gal batch its hard not to have enough yeast. Dry packet or liquid, its enough without a starter. I would definitely mention fermentation temp, if you don't start out in the mid-60's with a standard ale yeast you're liable to wind up with a really estery/fruity/fuselly brew that will not get any better.

That said, you might let the dude brew a batch on his own first and then see if he comes to you for advice.

Yeah, let him do it. Some people are destined to be bad examples for the rest of us.

Tell him that soda bottles work great, require less work and are even cheaper. 1 3 litre bottle or 2 2 litre bottles of soda can be had at the dollar store for only $1.

THIS! Honestly, since when have mason jars been considered "cheap"?

Beer bottles are free if you OR your friends ever drink beer. Getting them cleaned up is a bit of work, but better than spending money.

You might mention that mason jars are designed to hold a vacuum, not pressure. +1 to the 2L plastic soda bottles.

Unless he gets his mason jars for free or has "borrowed" them from his gramma's basement, beer bottles are are much cheaper. And they work.

I told him I had a capper, so he just had to have some bottles and buy the caps. Honestly though, for doing 2 gallon batches, the best thing to do is buy a case of 16 oz. flip tops.

Update: A buddy of his at work has some flip tops he's giving him :rockin:

Now, let's see if he takes my advice :)

If he doesnt take your advice show him this thread. If he still won't listen then just don't get near his jars, hope no kids are exposed to them.

Dan said:
If he doesnt take your advice show him this thread. If he still won't listen then just don't get near his jars, hope no kids are exposed to them.

Or the dog.

Latest posts

Back