Potted an electric element with JB quick thinned out, how long to cure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runningweird

Reaction score
So I potted one of my heating elements in a pvc coupling using jb quick which I thinned out with a teaspoon of acetone, its been 4 days since I did this and it still feels a bit rubbery. how long is the cure time for this kind of operation?

Been using the stuff for years. It usually sets in 4-6 but is not recommended for use for I think 24hrs(it says on the package). It cures quicker in warm environments. Colder=slower. Sounds like you mixed it wrong if it's not rock hard after 4 days.

i thinned it out with acetone, I used the entirety of both tubes so i know its not mixed wrong.

I have used oodles of the regular stuff not thinned out and yeah, it sets and cures fast

What temp is it at? Maybe hit it with a heat gun or hair dryer. May speed it up. I would think if it turns lyquid again it probably won't set. Although JB recommends acetone for surface prep only. It does work mixed in as well. I only used it a couple times mixed with acetone though. I found that no thinning with acetone and hitting it with a heat gun thins and speeds curing.

adding acetone extends the cure time to several days or several weeks, depending on how much you used. there was a recent thread of someone doing this to pot a heating element, and who went to use it after 24-48 hours. the tread was to ask why it kept tripping his GFCI, and the answer was because he didnt wait until the expoxy was set.

before you use it, make sure that its completely set. it should be a rock, not rubbery at all.

Why not use the proper real potting compound? I used some on my elements and it's not much more expensive than jb weld.

Why not use the proper real potting compound? I used some on my elements and it's not much more expensive than jb weld.

a matter of sourcing it - I should have ordered some online and been done with it. I have another element to do and I will just order some and use that.

update:i hit the coupling and jb quick with about 20 minutes of heat - it hardened up very nicely. I topped the rest of the coupling off with straight jb weld. next time no thinning. I will test it out as soon as my panel is done.

Back