Brew Science reference books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nateo

Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for brewing reference books? I have Noonan's New Brewing Lager, but I'm looking for something more in depth.

Briggs et al.'s Brewing Science and Practice is pretty much phenomenal. It's several hundred dollars, but if you have access to university libraries you should be able to find an electronic copy.

Otherwise, I really like just about everything by Charlie Bamforth, and he's got books on every side of the technical->beach reading spectrum.

Found a digital copy of Brewing Science and Practice. Holy cow, that's a book. I would probably pick up a hard copy, except it's $355 on amazon.

Any particular Bamforth book to get started? He has a bunch.

I have "Brewing Microbiology" by Preist and King. I found a used 1rst edition from '86 for like 20$ on Amazon. Really good book, wish I could read the new one with updated DNA information but it is also in the 100$+ range.

Nateo said:
Found a digital copy of Brewing Science and Practice. Holy cow, that's a book. I would probably pick up a hard copy, except it's $355 on amazon.

Any particular Bamforth book to get started? He has a bunch.

"Scientific principles of malting and brewing" is my favorite of his sciencey ones. "Beer is proof god loves us" and "Grape vs. grain" are both entertaining reads. "Beer: tap into the art and science of brewing" is more or less at the technical level of Palmer's book. All are well written. For a survey of the field, though, nothing I've seen beats Briggs.

I still find DeClerck invaluable. Yes, the material is a bit dated but I still feel that any serious student of brewing science should have a copy of this book (2 vols.).

"Brewing Microbiology" is a great book if you want to really understand well what the title of the book spells out. The book does not really go into brewing chemistry IE water profile stuff and the like. It concentrates on yeast, yeast genetics, and other microbial concerns of brewing. I bought the newest edition because of my internship as a biotech major QA intern at a brewery this semester. I found the book to be helpful at a more advanced level but my internship was not as in depth as the book allows. I also was able to get my school to buy a couple Bamforth books.

Author: Bamforth, Charles W.
Book: Beer: a quality perspective
ISBN: 9780126692013

Book: Beer: tap into theart and science of brewing
ISBN: 9780195154795

Book: Standards of Brewing
ISBN: 9780937381793

The three preceding texts I gleaned off of probrewer as recommended books that I forwarded to my librarian. He was able to buy "quality perspective", and "standards of brewing". I am still eagerly awaiting the "tap into the heart and science of brewing" text.

Also as ajdelange suggested the DeClerck book is also a valuable read. I was fortunate enough to borrow that off one of the brewers I was working with. You can also go to your local library and probably use the computers for journal access there to search for brewing related academic papers. I have found a couple using my school's research resources that I have saved for future use.

"Brewing" by Michael J. Lewis Ph.D or any books by CharlesW. Bamforth Ph.D. They both
are lead instructor's of the brewing programs at U.C of DAVIS Univ. Just stay away from Brew-Chem 101, it's not a very accurate book. Just my .02$. Cheers!!!

Ordered Principles of Brewing Science: A Study of Serious Brewing Issues and I can't wait to do some summer reading with it and the books you guys mentioned on this board.

Back