What to do with "waste" after primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirRobin

Reaction score
I started my first cider this year using 5 gallons of fresh apple cider direct from a local orchard. I did not filter out the solids prior to pitching the yeast. I racked the cider into a second carboy this morning and am left with about 2 liter of "waste". It obviously contains lots of cider pulp as well as dead and living yeast. It smells heavenly and started bubbling away nicely when I transfered it to a container. I hate to waste this stuff but I don't know what to do with it!!! I cant find any suggestions or recipes and my wife wont let it sit on the kitchen counter much longer! I'm open to anything from baking to brandy!

In addition, I'd like to keep a viable yeast culture for use several month from now. How do I go about it?

Here is the recipe I used:

5 gallons cider
1 pound each -white sugar, brown sugar, honey
4 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1 vial wlp775 yeast

Thanks for your help!

Well, you can use it for another batch of cider if you'd like, also you can make bread with it! For cider just pour the juice over the "waste" and let it start to bubble. It should work the same as a yeast starter. And as for bread, just use the "waste" to replace a little water in the recipe, and don't add more yeast to the mixture. It will take quite a bit longer to rise than normal yeast, but it will work all the same.

Simple bread recipe:

3 cups of flour
1 cup of water
.5 cups of "waste" Cider/yeasty goodness
pinch of salt
pinch or two of sugar
mix, let rise till doubled in size, punch down, knead, let rise once more till double it's size, transfer to bake pan and let it rest for an hour or so, then pre-heat the oven to 375'F and then bake until bread sounds hollow, and is crispy golden brown.

I pour mine into a flask, jug, or canning jar and put it in the refrigerator or keg freezer. Someplace very cold, but not freezing. Decant off the lees a few times and continue cold crashing until it's clear. I use these samples for trying future brewing ideas -- testing flavor combinations with extracts, for example. The downside is that my fridge is full of jars of mead, as well as jars of yeast. Worth it though.

How to keep the yeast?

1) Pour more cider/juice on top immediately and save it in a batch of fermenting cider.

2) Read the yeast washing thread in the beer forums. A very simple method is:

- Pour everything into large mason jars and refrigerate.
- After a couple of days pour off the liquid and replace with sterile water (boiled/cooled).
- Swirl everything up.
- let settle in fridge for a couple of hours and then pour off all the liquid/slurry into clean mason jars, leaving as much of the solids behind as possible.
- Save the jars of slurry in the fridge, and throw out the solids from the bottom.

Treat a jar of the slurry just as you would a new vial of yeast. If it's only a couple of months old, just throw 8 to 16 ozs of the slurry straight into the juice. If it's more than that you might want to make a starter with a small amount of juice to check it's viability. I've left them for 6 months with no problem.

Back