cleaning keg after cutting the top off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
I cut the top off of two kegs over the weekend for brew pots. However, it seems almost impossible to get all the metal/grinder dust out of the keg. I've got almost all of it, but I can still see little bits of dust that seem impossible to get out. How did you guys go about cleaning your kegs after cutting the tops off?

Flush with water until its clean. It really does not take that long...

Barkeeper's Friend + a green scrubbie pad + a small quantity of elbow grease. Rinse well with the keg upside down as suggested. The curved lip of the opening can interfere with completely dumping out rinse water etc. I clean and lightly scrub the keg interior after use, then invert the keg and spray out the interior to complete the rinsing.

I have used a magnet and a dress sock before. Simply add water to the bottom of the keg, put the magnet in the sock and the drop in. Swirl the keg around and 90% of the metal shaving collect on the sock/magnet. Remove sock and then rinse and wash.

Hope this help

Back