Electric Herms Single Pump 120v System?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
I haven't seen this exact kind of setup on hbt...

I am thinking about building this soon, and have put together some diagrams, but would like someone to show me a system like this to confirm that it works...

I am planning on two 1500w elements in my bk.

I have tried 2kw 120v, and it does take alot longer...

You would have 50% more watts,

but I know I will be making the step to 220 .. right now I do the mashing indoors, then boil on the propane ...The automation appeals to me..for the bk, 2000W just doesn't seem to be enough (I can get a boil, eventually, but it takes forever)

I think 1500W is close to the limit for a 20 amp 120 circuit. You would still need 2 circuits

I am doing this same thing. Although i am using two elements in a keggle. 2x 2000w. On separate 20a circuits. I'm hoping to be able to test it soon. I just need the pump and the tubing and I'm done. Money is tight right now so the pump will have to wait. Two elements should get your to boiling a bit quicker.

I haven't seen this exact kind of setup on hbt...

I am thinking about building this soon, and have put together some diagrams, but would like someone to show me a system like this to confirm that it works...

I am planning on two 1500w elements in my bk.

First off, using two 1500W elements in the calcs....

Current at 115VAC = 26A (this is 87% load on a 30A circuit. you should stay below 80%, best practice)
So, I am assuming that you want to use 2 elements so you can put them on separate circuits to eliminate this issue.

To boil 7 gal with 3000W, it will take approximately 50 minutes to get it there from 70°F assuming 95% efficiency. You will also have to take into account your elevation if your "location" is correct in your user info.

Just some food for thought. :)

I am in the process of building a single pump, 2 vessel, HERMS, but mine will be 240v. Right now my main hold up in money as I will have to hire an electrician to install the circuit properly.

Other than that, I only have to build out my control panel. everything else is sitting on my porch waiting to be brewed with.

Search for "simple brewing" and you'll find a great thread on a 120v system.

I use two 2000w elements on seperate circuits to boil. I always make 10 gallon batches and have no problem boiling 12 gallons of wort. My kettle is well insulated. I never go from 70 to boiling, from sparge to boiling doesn't seem to take that long.

I am in the process of building a single pump, 2 vessel, HERMS, but mine will be 240v. Right now my main hold up in money as I will have to hire an electrician to install the circuit properly.

Other than that, I only have to build out my control panel. everything else is sitting on my porch waiting to be brewed with.

Search for "simple brewing" and you'll find a great thread on a 120v system.

Why is it I am picturing a worn-out sofa and refrigerator right there too? :p

I do boil at 195 degrees, so I thought that this would help shorten the time period...I will be boiling indoors, and in my kitchen, so I kind of thought that a little help from the seven gallon on the stove could be used if necessary.

Is anyone doing a two vessel herms one pump design?

Why is it I am picturing a worn-out sofa and refrigerator right there too? :p

I'm not quite that ghetto:p. The couch remains inside, as does the kegerator. I have a screen porch that doesn't get used much, so my wife is kind enough to let me keep my "brewery" out there.

Back