Need help with first recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraperyFalls

Reaction score
This is the first time I've attempted to create a recipe myself and was wondering if I could ask for a bit of guidance from those more experienced?

The recipe is based on a delicious sounding treat from the movie Fantastic Mr. Fox, Mrs. Bean's Famous Nutmeg Ginger Apple Snaps!

Here's what I've got so far (this will be a 5 gallon batch):

I'm planning on using 4 oz of light (or first) molasses, adding it to the boiling pot as I would with a liquid malt. This may seem like too little, but I also plan on adding a pound of turbinado to the primary fermenter.

I'm kind of at a loss on the hops additions, but here is what my best guess was... I was going to use hallertau for bittering, for the mellow spiciness of it, and fuggles at the end for the mild, rounded, woody aroma. I'm sure someone out there must have a better suggestion, though, and I'm eager to hear it!

During the boil, I plan on adding the following:

1 stick cinnamon at 60 minutes
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg at 60 minutes

1 stick cinnamon at 30 minutes
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg at 30 minutes

1 stick cinnamon at 5 minutes
2 oz crystalized ginger at 5 minutes

I split them up in such a way because I have heard that doing this will produce a variety of flavors and aromas, much like adding hops at different times. Is this correct or even advisable?

After the boil is over, I will mix in 1 pound of turbinado, as I'm told this produces a great brown sugar and molasses taste, without being too harsh.

For the yeast, I am again at a bit of a loss. I was thinking either a Belgian wheat yeast (such as Wyeast 3638) for the apple/plum and the dry finish it produces, or a German wheat yeast for the spicy/clovey/phenolic aspect. I have read that BrewTek CL-920 produces this, but if anyone has a Wyeast alternative, that would be preferable, because I'm pretty sure my homebrew store doesn't carry BrewTek. If anyone has another suggestion altogether, that would be great! I was kicking around the idea of using a more bready yeast to produce more of a cookie feel (as this recipe is based off a cookie recipe), but that seemed like the least important element to retain.

Once fermentation ceases, I'll transfer to the secondary where I will include dehydrated apple slices. Any recommendations on how much apple I should use? I was estimating 7.5 pounds, but that estimate is based on the amount of strawberries I included in a strawberry wheat beer I brewed this summer.

Last, but not least, I'm planning on using 3/4 cup of brown sugar for priming when bottling. That seemed like an interesting twist that could potentially produce good results.

So if anyone can suggest anything to improve my recipe or my process, please let me know! I am very grateful for any help!

Thank you!

Sounds interesting and I hope it works out great. Wouldn't call it a beer though since there's no grain in it. However I could be wrong.

Good luck, I'de love to know how this comes out.

If you want to do something appley I would check out this thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

I've brewed two batches of this stuff and it's awesome. In one batch I did indeed add some molasses. 8oz. for a 5 gallon batch. However it took quite some time for the flavor to mellow. Since then I've been doing 90 minute boils on anything with molasses and that helps quite a bit.

My first batch of graff I brewed it with Wyeast 3711. It dried out fairly well and left it with some nice peppery spice.

I've never brewed with turbinado sugar so I can't help you there.

If you decide to go the way of a graff read the first post in detail. His info is very helpful and rings very true in practice.

However the two times I've made it I never used any DME or LME like the recipe suggests. Instead I used (with great results) 2 lbs. belgian pils, 1/2 lbs Crystal 60L and 1/2 lbs. Special B. mashed at 153. It adds just enough body without making it sweet.

That's my .002
Hope it helps.

If I was going to do it from an all grain stand point and not have apple juice be the bulk of my fermentables I would use around 7 lbs. of a good base malt with a nice profile (I love maris otter) 1 lb. of a medium crystal grain - 60L and then 4 - 8 oz. of molasses.

I would also mash relatively warm (155 - 157) for some nice body. I would also forgo the turbinado sugar as that will mostly just thin out the body and not add too much of a discerningly different flavor than you would get out of the molasses.

Instead I would use those grains I mentioned for a 4 gallon wort and then add 1 gallon of apple juice. In my experience the cheaper the apple juice... the better. I know it sounds odd but the cheaper stuff tends to leave some nice tartness behind which really rounds out the flavor.

In fact out of my two batches of graff all of my friends and family preferred the one made with cheaper juice because it was more tart.

Ok here's the new recipe:

1.5 gallons water
4 gallons apple juice
(or however much I need to fill the fermenter back to 5 gal)
.5 lbs of Crystal 60L
1 oz torrified wheat
1 lb light DME
4 oz. light molasses
.5 oz hallertau hops
2 sticks cinnamon
1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
2 oz crystalized ginger
German wheat yeast (brewtek cl-920)
3/4 cup brown sugar

Steep 60L and wheat in 1 gallon of water at 155 degrees for 30 mins
Sparge with .5 gallons of 170 degree water
Add light DME and molasses and bring to a boil
Once the boil starts, add hops, cinnamon and nutmeg; boil for 30 mins
Add crystallized ginger 5 mins from end of boil
Let wort cool, add to fermenter and fill up to 5 gallons with apple juice
Pitch yeast, ferment for 2-3 weeks, use brown sugar for priming

Obviously, this is a combination of my recipe and the graff recipe, but I'm feeling confident with these changes. I considered using more water and less juice because of the other spices I'm adding, so if anyone can advise...

Thanks again for helping!

Back