Mash out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewski82

Reaction score
Is it ok to mash out using hot water to raise the temperature, or is this a bad idea?
Should I try to mash at the lower range of qts/lbs if it's ok to use added water to mash out?

I think that's what most people do, usually when adding the first part of their sparge water. You can also raise the temp w/ direct heat.

That is absolutely the way to mash out if you don't have direct heat.

In a typical 10-12 lb grain bill, I'll mash in with about 1.25 qts/lb, and dump in another gallon of near-boiling water to mash out for about 15 minutes. Generally my mash-out is right around 168 with this method (assuming a 152 mash-in)

texasgeorge said:
That is absolutely the way to mash out if you don't have direct heat.

In a typical 10-12 lb grain bill, I'll mash in with about 1.25 qts/lb, and dump in another gallon of near-boiling water to mash out for about 15 minutes. Generally my mash-out is right around 168 with this method (assuming a 152 mash-in)

That's what I do. I'm just careful to stir immediately to disapate the heat (so as not to extract tannins from the grain.)

Back