Perlick Install?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
Yes its time. The 4 picninc taps are messy, time for Perlicks.

Still debating 525 or 575.. maybe 1 575 to start to see if the creamer action is that good..

Anyways sorry for this but I did just search for 20 min. why cant i find a 'Installing Perlicks in you Collar' thread?

What exactly do i need when I place the order? I can cut the picnic taps off and use that tubing right? what size shank? do i need washers/couplers? any kind of that stuff. so the day the delivery arrives i have everything i need..

i found this really good link on ebay for the equiptment

eBay Store - The Beer Tap Store: faucets, kegerator kits, regulators gauges

You are going to need the shank. The a female pipe/hose adapter for the beer line. Not sure what it is called? The link you gave shows the other parts that are needed. Also, a handle.

Shank size depends on the thickness of your collar, they will come with the nuts and washers that you need. You will have to purchase a tail piece separately that has the proper barb size for your existing line, along with a clamp to hold the line on there.

Shank size depends on the thickness of your collar, they will come with the nuts and washers that you need. You will have to purchase a tail piece separately that has the proper barb size for your existing line, along with a clamp to hold the line on there.

austin homebrew supply calls it a 'Fitting Kit', i think it has the extras..

i used a 2"x8" to build the collar. is the 3" shank proper?

I opted to get really long shanks (4 or 5 inches I think, on a 1 inch thick collar) so that there is extra shank sticking into the interior of the keezer, which keeps the whole shank and faucet nice and cold. Probably could have gotten away with less, but that's just me. Also, the long shanks will get in the way on the interior depending on how your collar and lines are installed, just something to consider.

austin homebrew supply calls it a 'Fitting Kit', i think it has the extras..

i used a 2"x8" to build the collar. is the 3" shank proper?

Yes, that should stick out inside about 2 1/2" with the barb and line.

edit: maybe not, here is a pic of some 3" shanks I sold awhile back. You will notice that it's measured to the end of the faucet ring.

8240-100_0708.JPG

I still think that it is long enough for 2x material though.

Yes, that should stick out inside about 2 1/2" with the barb and line.

edit: maybe not, here is a pic of some 3" shanks I sold awhile back. You will notice that it's measured to the end of the faucet ring.

8240-100_0708.JPG

I still think that it is long enough for 2x material though.

wow thanks. maybe the 4" then, especially with the idea of the faucets staying cold.

can i just cut off the picnic taps and use those?

I'll put in a plug for KegConnection.com here. I got most of my kegerator stuff from them, and the service, products, and prices are great.

In fact, just call and tell them what you're trying to accomplish and they'll set you up with what you need.

I needed a four-body secondary regulator with a couple of custom options... I called and they put it together for me with no problems at all.

They also sell shanks with built in nipples. It's the way to go imo.

Straight Nipple Shanks

oh thats awesome thanks. pretty much the same price too..

so thats it, straight nipple shanks and the perlicks? then some clamps to keep the lines on the end? not bad I can order 4 right away. gonna try 3 525 and one 575 to give the creamer action a little test..

No, sorry, measure the ID and give 'em a call, they'll help you out. Keg Connection IS a really good site also, I've bought from them in the past as well.

Most shanks are going to be 1/4" and you want 3/16" line for sure. The 3/16" ID line will fit over the 1/4" barb if you heat up the end of the hose with hot water. It will be a nice snug fit.

Most shanks are going to be 1/4" and you want 3/16" line for sure. The 3/16" ID line will fit over the 1/4" barb if you heat up the end of the hose with hot water. It will be a nice snug fit.

+1 That's the way to do it!

Back