Adding a Valve to brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 4 gallon brew pot that works fine but I want to add a ball valve to it so I can use it to hold sparge water when I do AG. I had one but I thought it was leeching crap so I tossed it. My question is how do I add this valve to the pot? Obviously I need to drill a hole in the side of the pot and I have all of the drill bits and plumbers tape I just need to go to the hardware store and buy a valve. I want to make sure I do it right because this is the only brew pot I have and if I mess it up no brewing for a month or 2 until I can afford to replace it. Thank you in advance for your help!

Tom

One question about the weldless fittings.

When I installed a ball-valve on my cooler for my mash tun I was able to tighten the fittings enough to prevent leaks but this also involved a rubber grommet behind the washers.

The concern is that the washers on the inside and outside are flat whereas the brew pot is curved. Are the washers in the kits curved or thin enough that they will conform to the sides of the pot?

What about the thickness of the pot metal? I have seen lots of brew pots with varying types of stainless ranging from .25-.36 in thickness. Any issues with thicker or thinner pots?

The orings will conform to the pot. There is a groove in the locknut that allow the oring to stay put when tightened down.

I also offer a 1/2" Flat silicone gasket on the parts page if you need a wider seal.

Wayne
Bargainfittings.com

Also, do not over-tighten. The o-rings need to conform to the wall to seal. Crushing them creates gaps.

All fitting sets come with silicone o-rings. They are rated for over 400 degrees.

They are FDA rated. Just don't dry fire your kettle and you will be ok.

Back