Store-bought beer getting too rich for me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
I just went to the beer store and picked up a sixer of Stone Ruination IPA and a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve. I'm still in shock at the price I just paid. I almost didn't buy them, but I wanted to introduce a friend to the Ruination, and I just like to drink a bottle of the Chimay now and then.

The Chimay was $12.99, definitely the most I've ever paid for it. The Ruination was ... get this ... $15.49 for a six pack. Yep, that's right. That's $2.58 per bottle! Sure you'd expect to pay around double that in a bar, but this is a beer and wine store price.

I love both of these beers, but I'm out of the game at this price. My own beer is satisfying enough, but I'll miss drinking some of my favorite microbrews and specialty imports.

What are y'all paying for these two beers in your area?

I would pay about what you did, but, same as you, it's too rich for my blood. There are many fine beers for 8-9 $ a sixer. I have a hard time going over $10 for a six pack.

+1 on the Chimay purchase. It's worth paying for the tradition. It is in my opinion one of the world's finest nectars. As for the IPA? Way too much I think... But I hope you enjoyed it any way! You do still have both your nuts, right? Your arm? Your leg?

Ruination I think is about $2.50 a bottle I think and the Chimey is around $4. I too have been buyiong less beer b/c of homebrewing and the fact that money's tight now adays. It's a shame. But then again, I'm still just amazed at the fact that beers and wine are the price they are. Really, think about it. All that grain had to be grown, harvested, maled, the hops grown and picked, purchased, shipped, brewed, fermented, bottle (the bottles had to be made, purchased and shipped). Then the shop had to order it, the brewery had to pack it in boxes and containers that had to be cut an dpacked (which had to have graphic designers design the packaging and print on it then die cut it, etc etc) which were shipped out to the store and purchased by you. Hell, Charles Shaw sell wine for $2 a bottle!!!! In the grand scheme of things (and I'm not even getting into the machines that make the machine that make the screws that go into the machines), it's amazing that we get products as cheap as we do.

But still, I ain't paying $16 for a Fantome beer, even if they are as good as they are (and they are).

+1 on the Chimay purchase. It's worth paying for the tradition. It is in my opinion one of the world's finest nectars. As for the IPA? Way too much I think... But I hope you enjoyed it any way! You do still have both your nuts, right? Your arm? Your leg?

lol - yeah, I'm still all here, and all parts working. I really enjoyed the Ruination, although it was a bit too much for the friend I was introducing it to. I saved the Chimay for another time.

lol - yeah, I'm still all here, and all parts working. I really enjoyed the Ruination, although it was a bit too much for the friend I was introducing it to. I saved the Chimay for another time.

:rockin: Well' I'm glad you made it w/ all parts intact!! A grand idea to save that lovely Chimay for some better private time, maybe sitting, relaxing, reflecting. Your newbie beer taster may not have gotten the subtle compexities of the trappist beer... it would have been lost on him ,maybe!:mug:

Dude, I went to the local beer meca store this winter in full anticipation of buying a "stock" of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

$18.50 a freaking 4 pack.

I settled for just staring at the bottles for a while and moved on to something more reasonable.

You could have taken a photo of them on your camera phone so you could gaze at the fondly every so often!

I have not seen that Goose Island brew down here in Texas yet. I'd probably try it once just to see what kind of beer someone thinks is worth that price.

Back