Lemongrass Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintocb

Reaction score
Brewed an American Wheat with lemongrass today. OG was 1.062. Thanks for all the advice I got in many past threads. This site is a wealth of info.

Cb

Oh. That sounds yummy. Got a recipe? Or did you buy a kit? If so, from where? That sounds like my 3rd batch just waiting to be brewed...

Austin Homebrew Supply

Bought the above kit from austin. Added an extra 3 lbs of wheat extract and the zest of one lemon at flameout. Ended up with a six gallon batch. I'll post the result in six weeks or so when I have the first one.

First of all, I broke my hydrometer before I could get a reading tonight.

Damn.

Second, I wish I had used Bavarian yeast rather than American Wheat. I thought the lemon would be better with a cleaner tasting strain.....at this point I'm wrong.

Third, I did a late boil extract addition and it didn't keep it from darkening, plus it is still probably too hoppy even though I only added about 2/3 the hops.

I know.....RDWHAHB. I will. I think this will still turn out pretty good....just not quite what I wanted.

I brewed this kit a few months ago and it didn't turn out too well for me. I think it is possibly infected however (and take this with a grain of salt because it may be due to the infection) the american wheat yeast did not produce any cloudiness and I cannot taste any wheat richness in the finished product. I also don't get any lemongrass scent or flavor but like I said, I think I have an infection as my beer tastes like a my carboy smells during fermentation and has a slightly acidic taste.

Hope yours comes out better.

Grrrreeeeaaattt.....

I did add some extra LME and the zest of two lemons. Maybe that'll help.

I bottled this today. The lemon character is really, really prominent. I'm hoping a month off forced carb will help it. Still not sure its going to be as good as it would have been if I'd used a German yeast strain. Plus, my American Wheat yeast stalled, so I through in what I had, which was a Cooper's Ale packet. This is totally not going to be what it was supposed to be.....but that's one of the things I like about this hobby.

mmm LemonGrass Hefe.. like Magic Hat's Circus Boy?

I'm looking forward to updates.. Even if all is not according to plan.

mmm LemonGrass Hefe.. like Magic Hat's Circus Boy?

I'm looking forward to updates.. Even if all is not according to plan.

I just re-read my notes on Circus Boy....I hope this turns out better. I wasn't a fan. It was more of a dirty locker room sour than lemon sour. If this is similar I'll be sad.....sorry if you were a big fan of MHCB. I love lemon, which is what drew me to this recipe.

Back