Water got suck in through the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaisgood

Reaction score
Hi guys. I need some help. I'm making a green apple wine from a kit and today was the day to add the last bit of ingredients. So I went to do it and noticed some of the water from the airlock was sucked out. May be a teaspoon full was gone. So now I'm wondering will my wine be ok to proceed with?
Thanks

Either tap or carbon filtered water. And i believe it happened to bc my heater stopped working so it got real cold.

it should be ok if it was a very small volume and if fermentation had already begun. the pH of the must and co2 in the fermenter would favor the yeast over anything else.

basically, it is a good idea to put a little vodka or star san (or whatever no-rinse sanitizer you are using) in the airlock as opposed to water.

In the last ingredients, there will be potassium metabisulfite (KMS) whick should kill anything that got sucked in.
It's a good idea to add 1/4 tsp. of the KMS at transfer before bottling as well.
In the future, fill your airlock with no-rinse sanitizer.
Make a drink with the vodka.:mug:

Bull

Back