Drink to relax or drink because your relaxed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nowuries

Reaction score
I just realized that when things aren't quit right in my life I stop dtinking because I can't realy enjoy it... So I guess I drink because i'm relaxed... Just a thought.
Anyone else?

I'd get so amped up from work (auto plants),that I'd need a few to relax. Now that I'm retired,I drink better beers to relax with my wife,watch vids on the net,& just be together. RDWHAHB!!! When the wife loves it to,then it's really togetherness!:rockin::tank::mug:

I just realized that when things aren't quit right in my life I stop dtinking because I can't realy enjoy it... So I guess I drink because i'm relaxed... Just a thought.
Anyone else?

I agree with that completely. When things in my life get a little heavy I find it much harder to sit and enjoy some beers. I have found that the times that I do have a lot on my mind that as I drink and get a little drunk, my thought will start wondering or I start worrying. And its odd because I not really a day-dreaming or worrying kind of person.

Exactly. I like enjoying the beer, and when I have alot on my mind... I just cant as much.
I understand the other side too though... And i'm not talking about needing to relax from a hard day at work... Cause beer is perfect for that... Just when your nervouse or worried from whatever... I just would rather save my good brew for when I can appreciate it!

When the wife loves it to,then it's really togetherness!:rockin::tank::mug:

I think that is another issue all together for some people, including myself. My girlfriend, who is going to be my wife sooner than later, is not a drinker at all. She has no taste for beer, liquor or wine. She will even turn her nose up to the most SWMBO friendly drinks. Sure she will sometimes drink a little to make me happy or taste my concoctions but for the most part my drinking time is my time and it is her time to do what she likes.

I agree with that completely. When things in my life get a little heavy I find it much harder to sit and enjoy some beers. I have found that the times that I do have a lot on my mind that as I drink and get a little drunk, my thought will start wondering or I start worrying. And its odd because I not really a day-dreaming or worrying kind of person.

I also agree. Even when I start a project I may crack a beer but by the time I am done the beer is warm and flat :(

Well,it was different for us,since we grew up in the 60's. Came of age in the early 70's. It was the party hardy decade,even reflected in the music. Like Van Halen. So it was socially exceptable to be a little stoned,& a little drunk. So that's what we do,relax & have a few home brews...

Not even brewing? :)

Nope. I do not like to drink while I brew. After I get the temps down, pitch the yeast and tuck my beer away I usually have a huge craving for beer though. Its nice because I usually brew on Saturdays so I can go ahead and indulge :)

Both, sort of. After a long day of whatever made the day long I really enjoy grabbing a beer and taking some time to drink it. But, if I've got nothing to do whatsoever there's probably a beer somewhere in the vicinity of whatever I find to occupy myself. Especially if it's homebrewing that I find to occupy myself with, which is generally how it goes.

Drinking for me is definitely therapeutic. But I've noticed lately that the minute I start into a beer and start to feel it, my mind just disconnects. It's like I'm finally able to let go of everything I've had to focus on. It's for this reason I drink only when I can really relax and let go, so in a way, it's both for me.

more to have wile i relax...

When im doing things/building or any type of work, i tend to forget about my beer... and finish the task at hand instead of drinking, and relaxing...

Even while im brewing.. i tend to just forget about the beer i poured and do the things i need to do.. while i wait for mash and boil i sometimes will have a beer during.. but not always.

Well,it was different for us,since we grew up in the 60's. Came of age in the early 70's. It was the party hardy decade,even reflected in the music. Like Van Halen. So it was socially exceptable to be a little stoned,& a little drunk. So that's what we do,relax & have a few home brews...

Dang man, I never even saw the 70's :eek:

While relaxing, more than anything. There's the occasional day I come home and just want a beer, but am not relaxed nor intend to be. Most often, I have a drink (beer, cocktail, wine) while lounging. Kyle

I start drinking to relax and continue to drink once I am.

This. If I have a bad day, I'll have a beer to relax. That first sip is enough to do it. I continue to become more relaxed with each sip. Being stressed doesn't prevent me from enjoying it any less. If anything it makes me appreciate it more. It's what I look forward to and that sip is just a rush of flavors. I try and focus on every flavor and enjoy. Takes my mind off of what is really bothering me.

Sorry for the necrothread but I had a discussion about this the other day and just happened upon this thread.

It works two ways for me: if it's a long or crappy day but things aren't out of the ordinary I drink. If things have taken the absolute turn for the worst and there's no hope in sight I don't drink.

I drink when I'm happy... I don't drink to be happy.

Back