question about belgian strong ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just racked my beer from primary to secondary after sixteen days in primary and I need twenty one more days in secondary, my OG is 1.080 and my intermediate was 1.010 I tasted it and it isn't nearly as sweet as a belgian should be, the alcohol was too prevelant, I was wondering if this is normal and the alcohol might mellow out, or what I should do

I had a Belgian that I thought tasted too solventy. After several months in storage that went away and the flavor came through better.

Unfortunately it's sitting in bottles, uncarbed. I guess I need to pop them open and redose with fresh yeast.

Belgian beers aren't usually sweet, they're dry. They're often fruity which may lead to a perception of sweetness. But the guys above are right about time lessening the alcohol bite.

I made a Golden Strong this past summer. Tasted it about 3 months after kegging and it still smelled and tasted like alcohol. Right around Christmas I tried it again and it is excellent. Took it to my homebrew meeting and noone would beleive me that it was 10.4% abv. Give about 6 months and you'll be happy.

I made a Golden Strong this past summer. Tasted it about 3 months after kegging and it still smelled and tasted like alcohol. Right around Christmas I tried it again and it is excellent. Took it to my homebrew meeting and noone would beleive me that it was 10.4% abv. Give about 6 months and you'll be happy.

yep, im waiting on mine right now...its been in the bottles for about a month now but i'm gonna wait maybe 3 or 4 more months before I pop another one. mines sitting at 11% abv. When I first tasted it 1 week in the bottle, it was already delicious :rockin: so im excited to see how it will be months from now.

here's a picture of it 1 week in the bottle if you want to see it. I was actually surprised that it had carbonation already :ban: http://usera.imagecave.com/jourelemode/quad first taste.JPG

yeah i decided to make a strong golden ale for holidays next year and im starting this weekend. going to sit in primary for a month secondary for two - three months and then bottles till next year.

Back