Show of hands, who hates acetyalhyde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyShamrock

Reaction score
*raises hand*

Third batch now I've done that is just a glass of green apples. Grrr.

I'm aware the cause, just can't seem to get that yeast happy enough. Next time I'm adding actively fermenting beer directly to my carboy, in addition to pitching yeast. And shaking the absolute hell out of the carboy.

I can't detect it...so I dont care!!!

Not joking either, I cant smell or taste it. We had the Seibel off flavor kit in my BJCP class. Everyone was gagging at their acetyalhyde spiked beer. I had to ask if my sample got spiked! I ended up having to take the concentrated vial the stuff comes in to take a whiff. It was still hard for me to detect, but I got the idea of what I was supposed to be looking for.

I'm sure I'd hate acetyalhyde if I got it in my beers, but I've never had it. Usually that is, among other things, is a sign of a green beer or young beer, which never get leaving the beer in primary for a month and letting it bottle condition long enough.

Back