55 gallon SS drum recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeshorebrewer

Reaction score
So I have an itch to buy a Brew-Magic, but there are two things stopping me. One is the cost and the other is the size. I am looking at the alternative to build something that would do a barrel at a time and have seen that some folks use 55 gal SS drums.

If you have gone this route or helped to brew on a system built by these, can give me your thoughts on how it's worked out? Any recommendations?

Cheers! :mug:

I have not used one, but here is an example of a commercial turnkey brewery using them:
http://pico-brewing.com/ and the price sheet: http://pico-brewing.com/

You could buy used drums on ebay and make your own. I live on the north side of Atlanta, so these in Spartanburg, SC would be an easy 2hr drive for me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stainless-Steel...499?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f1bbe1bb

Edit:
I forgot to add this one:
http://conical-fermenter.com/about/attachment/1-bbl-brewing-system/
It needs additional hardware to make it complete, but not a bad price.

In the interest of using something that looks a bit better and new, I sent in for some info on these process drums.

I've seen the pico-brewing system online before and still have a hard time convincing myself that the traditional barrel shape with the bands is ok. Might need to get over that if these are really expensive.

Wow. I visited the conical fermenter location you added. I think this might be just what I was looking for. They seem to offer a great start with the major components. Have you seen or know of anyone who has used any of their equipment?

Thanks a bunch limulus!!

Sure is a good price for SS. Interesting that the seller would even make them into "brew pots".

Thanks klyph!

I'll recommend Blichmann's kettles. They go for $620 or so. For heating with a burner, they would be much more efficient than a drum because of the larger surface area of the kettle bottom. You can also order one and have a kettle with a valve with a dip tube, level gauge, thermometer, and handles already installed in just a few days. It comes with a lid as well. The false bottom for the 55 is massive, and compared to a drum, it would be easier to reach it because the Blichmann kettles are so much shorter than drums.

How do you plan to heat each pot?

Surface area is a good point to make dark. As far as heating goes, it will either be propane or natural gas. I know the Blichmann kettles are popular. I think they have threaded components instead of welded. Personally I'm not sure if it matters or not, but I would think you have to disassemble things periodically at least to clean it well.

The site conical fermenter site above has the kettles that are welded. I'll have to review the comparison chart at their site a little more when I get a chance. Either way, it's great to see there's a choice of kettles already available to run as a 1 bbl system.

The idea of using 55gallon drums would be based on money only from my view.

I think they have threaded components instead of welded. Personally I'm not sure if it matters or not, but I would think you have to disassemble things periodically at least to clean it well.

Any place where there is threads, grooves, or internal anything, you will collect hops/grain/what-ever during the process no matter how its constructed. Welded fittings have plenty of threads exposed to the wort where solids collect. This is true with any brewing system. Even inside cavities in triclamp valves and such, you will find solids after brewing a few times.

But with any case, if a plate chiller is used, any dirty nasties hanging out in these cavities wont survive the trip to the chiller at 212* F.

Sure! I happen to have 5 in my garage! I'm borrowing a 30gal at the moment for what was a 20gal batch. Only every once and a while I have to tear into the valves and scrub out the crud.

Also, I should really post my results with testing the kettles to help prove how efficiency improves with both diameter of the kettle, and flatness of the bottom. I found that using a keggle, the efficiency was maybe around 10% less than flat bottom kettles, and the thirty gallon kettle was about 5% more efficient than the smaller kettles. These numbers are to the best of my memory for now, but it's very interesting. I'll update later after I find the document at home.

Nice write up mrbowenz. Sounds like a great time you guys had on the adventure. Bikes, beer and a challenge all wrapped up safe and sound. Well done.

The idea of having two stands instead of one is interesting. It could make for a more flexible setup arrangement. Do you plan to brew on the system regularly? When is the uncapping or tapping planned for?

Nice write up mrbowenz. Sounds like a great time you guys had on the adventure. Bikes, beer and a challenge all wrapped up safe and sound. Well done.

The idea of having two stands instead of one is interesting. It could make for a more flexible setup arrangement. Do you plan to brew on the system regularly? When is the uncapping or tapping planned for?

Thanks LSB,

I have a 10 gallon system in my brewhouse now and was thinking of replacing it with the 55 gallon system, but the size is just too large and the burners too powerful for inside brewing. I will keep the system for special events /big brew days or demonstrations etc. I also now own two 42 gallon Blichmanns as part of the setup, it's a shame they wont be used either unless I brew with the 55 gallon system, they are simply too big for 10 gallon batches.
As for the arctic ale, I am bottling the whole batch ( almost 70 gallons ) in December of this year, it's maturing and dry hopping now.

The size of a brewery has an effect on where you can brew for sure. Seems like dedicating a portion of a garage or pole barn would be the way to go if possible. Unlikely for many folks possibly. Need to keep track of the gas cans too 'eh? ;o)

As for the Blichmanns, do you find that they are adequate for the size batch that their rated for?

Do you think it's unreasonable to be able to build a system that can do 10gallon to 1bbl batches? That's what I'm shooting for, but have not brewed on a large system. In my mind I think a system sized for 1bbl that uses a pump for moving liquid, RIMS on the mash and use of a chiller should be able to do it. Of course as I mentioned before...dedicating some floor space for the size.

70 gallons... better save up bottles. That'll be a long day.

As far as the multi batch size goes, you want 450HP AND 60 MPG? There are trade offs. But, from the site, it shows that you can fit 72 lbs of grain in a 30 keggle at 1qt/lb ratio. I've used this same chart for cramming 35 lbs of grain in a blichmann 15 gal kettle. It worked, and there was about 3 inches of head space to play with. Went with a 30 gallon MLT for your one bbl batches, then, you could turn around and us the 30 for a BK with your smaller batches. You would need another kettle for your MLT, but size doesnt matter for the HLT, and a 55 gal would be a perfect HLT for 5 gal batches, or 31 gallon batches. The dead space in a 30 gal is about a qt compared to a 55 gal which is 0.50 gallons.

How many pounds are needed for a bbl batch? I know it depends on yada yada yada... but how much do you plan to use? Maybe you could fit 80 lbs .... 90 lbs in a 30 gallon kettle? I'll ask the boss tomorrow and see what he says. Just for the record though, you can fit 134 lbs of grain in the 55 gallon at 1 qt/lb. I know you can fit more, this is whats published.

So, if this, that, and the other, you'll need two 55's, a 30, a 20, and false bottoms for the 30 and the 20.

Here: http://blichmannengineering.com/boilermaker/boilermaker.html

How long did it take to heat up the hlt with the 32 tip burner? Did you put the drums on the open flame? Or did you use a cooking plate to disperse the heat?

Back