Hops question on argentine cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
A friend got a pound of these hops and gave me 6 oz.
description:
3.7% Alpha Acid Content. These are not a US Cascade substitute. Argentine-grown Cascade is a mild flavor and aroma hop with traces of spicy, peppery, and herbal lemon grass flavors. This is a good hop for use in Summer beers, Light ales and lagers, Kolsch-style beer and Pilsners. For aroma, recommended to boil for the last 15 minutes.

I want to brew a wheat beer with orange & corriander would this hops be suitable? any thoughts? remember be gentle if the question is stupid I am really just a wino trying to brew better beer.

Stay the heck away from Argentinian Cascades, they are nasty evil buggers that will make your beer taste like citronella bug spray.....

Read MY little "adventure" with them....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/smash-advice-mo-argentinian-cascade-92765/

Especially the last couple posts of mine...I haven't updated it in a couple weeks, because the nastiness hasn't mellowed enough yet to say anything different than that it tastes like when you get bugspray in your mouth....

They're evil I say....

I've used well over a pound of them and while I don't share Ravvy's opinion of them I have to say don't under estimate the power of this low AA hop. They bitter like a hop twice the AA. Bitter to an IBU level below style and I thick you will be happy with them.

....They bitter like a hop twice the AA. Bitter to an IBU level below style and I thick you will be happy with them.

That's probably why, despite the fact that I was shooting for a balanced recipe, even on the IBU/GU chart in the thread, they are so overwhelming...No wonder it seems in terms bitterness (Not bug spray flavor) it seems twice as bitter than it should be.

It's even seems more bitter than my all cascade IPA that I brewed around the same time.

I probably wouldn't buy them again (even though I know where I can get them at 1.99 an ounce still) if I had any left I would probably do what you say and use them for an "under the flavor radar" bittering addition.....

thanks for the heads up, I will try to use them with the AA adjusted to twice as strong in my plan. I need to give my friend a heads up to before he ends up with bug juice brew? :)

During the shortage NB had subbed them in a few kits that I did than a bought a pound for $19 shipped from midwest. I used them heavily in a few beers and none needed dumping out. I still have one oz in the freezer along with well over two pounds of numerous other types. If I was making a wit I'd probably use some of the Sterling. I don't know what I'll ever use that last once for.

If you use them as a 60min bittering hop will the flavor come out?

I also have alot and with 3.7AA I thought if I used 2oz at 60 I could use them up and not worry about the flavor. The description does not sound like they will fit in many of the beers I like to brew (bitters, IPA's, and the like).

Back