Wort Chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude123

Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question, but could someone explain to me how the different types of wort chillers work and which is the best kind to use for 5 gallon batches.

I have another question, is there a wort chiller that doesn't waste water? It seems like the Immersion coolers are a big waste of water.

I have another question, is there a wort chiller that doesn't waste water? It seems like the Immersion coolers are a big waste of water.

If you get a long (50 ft) coil of 3/8" copper, prechill with ice, and whirlpool while you chill, you'll be running water for <5 minutes.

or you can also hook up an immersion chiller to an aquarium pump instead of the faucet. it can pump from a container holding a lot of ice water, that way it just recirculates the water. just make sure to keep ice in there or you might end up recirculating warm water.

Just don't forget about the fact that creating that much ice uses quite a bit of energy so if you're thinking in terms of economy or absolute environmental impact, running the water (if it's cool enough on its own) is probably cheaper.

I want to see someone build a rig to connect an IC to bypass their hot water heater. Bam, you have temporary "free" hot water to your house. Well, at least enough for a short, warm shower :)

Back