Oktoberfest style beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiseman

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

After my first batch from Mr. beer I've decided to go ahead and upgrade to a more traditional setup. For my first real batch of beer I've wanted to do an Oktoberfest style, but I have some questions.

AFAIK, Oktoberfest and Marzen are supposed to be the same thing, right? Well I've had Sam Adams Octoberfest and Gordon Biersch Marzen and they were very VERY different in my opinion. What I want to brew is something more in the style of the Sam Adams: Thick, amber, malty, and very aromatic. Can anyone point me towards a recipe that can mimic that?

On a side note, what the hell does SWMBO stand for?

SWMBO=She Who Must Be Obeyed

The Sam Adams Octoberfest really isn't within style. They use a lot more hops and most of those are late hop(flavor & aroma) additions that what a true Octoberfest would have.

You are correct that Oktoberfest and Maerzen are the same style. The former name comes from when it's traditionally consumed, and the latter from when it's traditionally brewed. As you found, though, beers within the style can vary quite a bit. Just do a little tap hopping next September/October, and you'll see what I mean.

DeathBrewer gave you the good links. :)

TL

Well I think the Sam Adams that I had was a bit more to my liking than the gordon biersch, and that's the style that I'd like to aim for.

As for hoppiness, I didn't think it was very hoppy at all compared to the Boston Lager, and certainly less than the Gordon Biersch.

I don't think I'm ready to go to an all grain recipe just yet, I'm gonna stick with extract for at least a while, but I came accross a recipe that is listed as "all extract" but it still has you steep grains? Isn't that no longer an all extract recipe or am I missing something here?

Though they are generally grouped together, I like to see Oktoberfest, Vienna and Maerzen as different styles. But the are related to each other.

Vienna - is a faily low gravity lager (11-13 *P) wich focusses on the taste you get from slightly higher kilned malts like Vienna or light munich. When I'm going to brew one I'll go for 50% light munich and 50% pilsner malt. 100% vienna would be even better.

Maerzen - is stronger in gravity and taste (between 13 and 14 *P). It taste and color may come from munich malts and/or crystal malts. Though it is the traditional Oktoberfest beer, I see it as quite different from the "Wiesen"-beer of today. It's also less attenuated than the Oktoberfest. I brew mine similar to Gordon Biersh's: 80 % Pils, 15% dark Munich, 5% Crystal.

Oktoberfest - this should refer to the modern Oktoberfest beer which is a well attenuated light lager. Think of it as a blend between a Maibock and a Helles. It's a little darker and maltier than a Helles but not by much. It's starting gravity is similar to the Maerzen (13 - 14 *P). I like to have both a (traditional) Maerzen and an Oktoberfest at hand at the end of September. The Oktoberfest is brewed with 80% pils and 20% dark munich.

All 3 styles have a low bitterness and may contain moderate hop flavor. I wouldn't bother with hop flavor in a Maerzen if it is actually lagered for 4+ months.

Kai

wiseman said:
Hey everyone.

After my first batch from Mr. beer I've decided to go ahead and upgrade to a more traditional setup. For my first real batch of beer I've wanted to do an Oktoberfest style, but I have some questions.

AFAIK, Oktoberfest and Marzen are supposed to be the same thing, right? Well I've had Sam Adams Octoberfest and Gordon Biersch Marzen and they were very VERY different in my opinion. What I want to brew is something more in the style of the Sam Adams: Thick, amber, malty, and very aromatic. Can anyone point me towards a recipe that can mimic that?

On a side note, what the hell does SWMBO stand for?

Congrats on moving up from Mr. Beer. Oktoberfest/Marzen is indeed a great style of beer. There are different takes within the style so don't expect every brewery's version to taste the same. I don't want to throw cold water on you enthusiasm and ambitions but it is not an easy beer to brew with extracts. The beer is also a lager which to make correctly needs cold, controlled fermentation temperatures and a lagering period at close to freezing. German malts, specifically Vienna and Munich, are what gives the beer style it's rich color, flavor and aroma. Extracts made from these malts are available but not widely distributed to my knowledge. Find them and use them if you can. Maybe somebody here has a good source. I would strongly suggest the use of a pound or so of fresh grain (German Vienna and/or Munich) to the batch. If you can't find extract made with those German malts use extra light dry extract and use at least a couple of pounds of quality specialty malt to get a flavor and color boost(maybe a 1/2 lb of Melanoidin and 1.5 lbs of German Munich). Chances are you are not set up for lager fermentations and lagering so choose a clean ale yeast like Chico/California/001/1056 to minimize ester production. Ferment on the low temperature end of the yeast's range and give the beer as much pseudo lagering as you can manage. :mug:

Back